MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Random little gray plug near upper right of motor.....?? hlp? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/545695-random-little-gray-plug-near-upper-right-of-motor-hlp.html)

dwolschon 06-20-2009 10:01 PM

Random little gray plug near upper right of motor.....?? hlp?

Ok i'm about as confused as i can get as to what this thing is....i wanna see what you guys can tell me when i get back home from vacation.

When looking at the front of A STOCK 302 from a 1991 mustang FUEL INJECTED there is this little wire that just...kinda dangles down every so effortlessly... I haven't a clue what its there for, but at the end of the wire's is a little grey plug (about the size of the tip of your thumb) that can be taken out... I've noticed that upon taking this plug out i get a little worse gas mileage, the exhaust gets that crackle and pop sound that alot of mustangs do have (with this plugged in mines just a smooth rev with it out it sounds like gargling on the way down none of these bad sounds they just make it sound stronger and louder). I'm simply clueless right now as to why that's on the mustang and what its purpose is and if i need to keep it on or not. If i can't find an answer on here when i return home i may just go to ford and tell them to tell me wtf it is.

mjr46 06-20-2009 10:04 PM

well I'll clue you in....that is the spout connector that allows the ecm to stay in the loop for timing control, remove it and now the ecm doesn't control timing, the connector needs to stay in for proper timing control:)

Pony 5.0 06-20-2009 10:08 PM

Why would you want to unplug something you don't know what it is and drive around? It is the spout connecter. Get a Haynes or a Chilton.

dwolschon 06-20-2009 10:12 PM

huh... that would explain the pops that come out of it from some off'd timing... sounds nice however haha :-p

well another question then... is this a bad thing? the way i see it is i have had some issues with taking off the line and this timeing being off...which im thinking is bad... lets it bog down a little more off the start and allows me to get more traction on the get go ( i have new tires they just aren't cheaters yet lol) barely noticible but its enough to help.

dwolschon 06-20-2009 10:14 PM

and i took it off bc my ex's dad worked for ford and he told me to pop it off once in a while and see how it performed becuase he liked his wifes car better with it off.... in other words i wasn't htinking this is bad thank you for just tryin to knock me down pony 5.0 but clearly i don't need ur assistance in this right now... the kind gentleman above you was rather helpful however

mstngsule68 06-21-2009 12:58 AM

obviously he "worked" there for a reason......

mjr46 06-21-2009 10:51 AM

he worked for ford and told you to remove that?? glad he never worked on my rides.....dang monkey rigger:(