5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:38 PM
clawlan
1st Gear Member

Unhappy Clutch Issue?

Here's the situation. Got in my car the other day and noticed the clutch peddle was quite stiff. As I pressed it, quite hard, I heard a loud Clank/Snap from under the dash and the peddle dropped to the floor. Immediately I thought it was the stock plastic quadrant and sure enough, the plastic hook was slipping off and causing the noise and peddle to fall to the floor.

I just got done replacing the quadrant with an aluminum Steeda one (god what a pain that was!). So here I am thinking everything is good again, I adjust the clutch cable (FW adjuster) so its nice and taught. I get back in the car, and the clutch pedal is still very hard to push and not smooth at all, kind of clumpy if that makes sense. Also, after pushing it in all the way, it doesn't spring back all the way.

I'm terrified that my clutch bit the dust even though I had it replaced it only a couple years ago. Any ideas of what could be going on?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Dbone90

I'm goin through the exact same thing u r. My pedal made the snap sound and I 2 replaced the quad with a steeda one but Im still waiting for fw adjuster (on backorder) I made my own adjuster though out of metal split washers and my clutch seems 2 be very stiff as well, at first I thought the clutch felt good then it got tight. I'm wondering if the clutch fork may be bent or not pivoting properly or if the cable is stretched I have a new cable but don't want to put it on till I get the adjuster. Itoo put my clutch inaprox 10,000 mi ago and highly don't believe the clutch went out. I know this really don't help ur situation butI'm fighting thesame battle as well.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 PM
clawlan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dbone90
I'm goin through the exact same thing u r. My pedal made the snap sound and I 2 replaced the quad with a steeda one but Im still waiting for fw adjuster (on backorder) I made my own adjuster though out of metal split washers and my clutch seems 2 be very stiff as well, at first I thought the clutch felt good then it got tight. I'm wondering if the clutch fork may be bent or not pivoting properly or if the cable is stretched I have a new cable but don't want to put it on till I get the adjuster. Itoo put my clutch inaprox 10,000 mi ago and highly don't believe the clutch went out. I know this really don't help ur situation butI'm fighting thesame battle as well.
Thanks for joining me in this. I really don't think it is the clutch but could be the fork, throwout bearing, etc. Also could be the cable is stretched. I am going to get the car up on jack stands tomorrow and have a look. Ugh, what an annoyance!