5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Replacing my Steering - help me

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:05 AM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

Default Replacing my Steering - help me

I'm replacing the following all in one shot:

Rack and Pinion, tie rods too - Napa
Aluminum Rack bushings - MM
Steering Shaft - MM
Caster Plates - MM
Sway Bars - Eibach

So far, I've got the new rack installed, along with the aluminum bushings. The Shaft is installed on the firewall side. I'm wondering if theirs a way to get in centered in one shot.
I'm also worrying about the shop NOT noticing an un-centered rack before they align my front end.

Another problem, is I have the old sway bar out, but have no idea how to install the bushings (not the endlinks). They're a tad small for the bracket, its pissing me off. What the easiest way to get them on??

Also, I made sure the steering wheel is straight, I tied it down, AND I made sure it locked into position. HOWEVER, the steeling wheel is locked straight-ahead and turned 10 - 15 degrees to the LEFT. Is that an issue for anything to come?? Should I unlock it and free it up, now that I have all the old stuff removed?

ALSO, (yeah i know) When figuring out how many times to turn the outer tie-rods onto the rack.... I don't think counting the turns is going to matter, because the rack is set back an inch towards the rear of the car. So, lets just pretend that the old rack is not available to go by or look at. Whats the best way to tackle the toe-in so that I can drive it 15 miles to a shop to get it aligned??? new tires btw.

Any help is much appreciated!

-Johnny
Old 06-27-2009, 05:44 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

As far as I know the rack centers itself when you bolt it on unless you have offset bushings. So idk where you are going with that one.

As for your tie rods and steering wheel you need to unlock the wheel and have it straight, put your tie rods on and look at the front of your car and you can pretty much tell if you have one wheel pointing out or in more than the other. Make the needed adjustments and look again. If your tires are straight and your wheel is not then you can center the wheel and you will take one tie rod in and go out on the opposite. I am sure you can get them straight enough to drive to the shop to get it aligned.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:01 AM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

alright, thanks man. What about the bushings for the sway bar? How do you fit those bushings into those brackets? they're slightly bigger than the opening on the bracket? Does the bracket come apart? I know I have the right bushings. Maybe the bracket comes apart and if it does, how? thanks again
Old 06-27-2009, 11:23 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The bracket unbolts from the car and you stick the swaybar with the bushings already put on it in the bracket and then bolt it back up. Be sure to spray some WD40 or other lube on the bushing before you put them on the sway bar so you can slide the bar around to get the endlinks on right.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:46 AM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

The steering is all done. The hex nut on the rack-side of the steering shaft was tough. I gotta give it a quick measurement before I go to the shop though.

The bushings - I have the new sway bar at hand, I put the lubricated bushings on the bar, and the bracket is really small to fit over the bushing. idunno. its still pissing me off.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Did you initially remove the sway bar or is it one that you picked up somewhere? Where did you get the bushings from? I think the problem you are having is that the size of the sway bar varys over the years so your bushing may be for a smaller bar. I think the brackets are the same size so the thickness of the bushing is different. Can you get a pic of the bushing, bar and bracket all in the same pic?
Old 06-27-2009, 01:34 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

I wish I could post some pics. Its the eibach anti-roll kit. comes with red bushings that are actually cut across the flat part, completely through so that you can fold them or roll them i guess.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:44 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

That is so you can put the bushing onto the sway bar. Have you tried to bolt it up yet? you could probably get it to go in if not, it just will prolly be a little tuff at first.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:11 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

I can't mount the sway bar until I I get the brackets onto the bushings And onto the sway bar - as an assembly = that way I can bolt them in. ya know what I mean? in the meantime I fiddlin with the rest of the steering. I'm replacing the CC plates and I'm wondering what the ride to the alignment shop is gonna be like.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:01 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

So, everythings done, except I need to install front sway bar and get the wheels to align as best as i can. The brackets are just too small for that large bushing. The brackets are a two-piece deal and a bench vice can be utilized to squeeze them apart. Then, you can put that bracket back together over top of the already mounted bushing. The holes won't line up perfectly, but a little man handling and elbow grease and you'll be done in no time.

Quick Reply: Replacing my Steering - help me