5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Relay/Fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 01:03 PM
tosen

Default RE: Relay/Fuel pump problem

No, im hearing nothing from the fuel pump.

two weeks ago I replaced the fuel pump, and I remember when we got it all put back together, for about 30 minutes afterword we were quite stumped, because it wouldnt pressurize... we had no schematics or anything to work with, so we just started fiddling with the visible relays that we could see, and all of a sudden it worked fine...

I have a feeling it might just be that relay, which im replacing in a few moments, because of the way it was ghetto rigged. Im really not quite sure why he would have had the relay for the Fan connected to it in the first play though, doesnt make a lot of sense to me :|

If this doesnt work, I need to check the PCM, its relay, and the EEC... but I dont know really how to check the PCM and the EEC, and I have NO idea where the PCM relay is located
Old 07-03-2005, 01:07 PM
tosen

I forgot to add that is was then that the fan stopped working, which keeps making me look at those damned relays.

Just wish I could get my hands on the guy who was under the hood, find out why he did a lot of the wierd stuff he did.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:17 PM
flamin87
2nd Gear Member

you know what, i had the same problem with a wrecked 87 gt i bought. it had a good motor and tranny im swapping out on my ther 87. well to get to the point i tried to start the motor before i took it out. i pulled the radiator and fan out of the pulleys and when i went to start it i wouldnt hear the fuel pump come on, oyu know how the pump comes on when you turn the key before you crank it but mine didnt, i replaced the relay under the seat and no luck. later i found out that if i turned the key to almost crank it the pump would come on and the car would kinda start but the relay turns off when you let go of the key. then i bypassed the relay under the seat thinking it should start but it didnt. even though the pump was running it had another type of relay under the hood. so i just put back the realy under seat and started the car by turning the key to start and just held it back just enough to disengage the starter and that way the relays would stay on. i needed to hear my motor run that day but im gonna need to figure out what it is cuz im also fixing up the car later. i was also thinking it was the ignition switch or something.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:35 PM
tosen

Ok, I think ive figured out that the PCM relay is above the computer, now, how the heck do you get the computer out or at least access the damn thing?

Its gotta be in that line of relays, as Im getting 12 volts on the line from a fuse link, yet on the line from the PCM relay im getting nothing, and now i realize why he had that last relay all ghetto rigged, he was shorting the fuse line to the actual resistor line, so this has been a problem for a while.

So if anyone knows how to access the PCM relay, I would love the help... also going to replace the ignition switch, as thats in line with it as well.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:00 PM
tosen

Ok, more and more confusion happening.

I replaced the Ignition Switch, and while the other one did have some nasty connectors on it, no help.

So im still trying to find the PCM relay.

Now, I'm confused... im used to my old camaro, which had none of this computer crap, so I dont really know wtf is going on...

The wiring schematic says that the Fuel Pump Relay is hooked to the PCM, which I am to understand is on the right side by the radiator...

But, everything I have been reading says that the Fuel Pump Relay is activated by the EEC, which is in the passenger side kick panel...

Forgive me for being an idiot, but what am I missing? These wiring diagrams dont show anything going to the EEC.

Im also not getting any, zero, zip, nada codes when I run a code reader on the car, so I'm really getting curious if my EEC or PCM or whatever the hell i need to check is bad, and I have no idea how to check it once I figure the first part out
Old 07-03-2005, 10:07 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

everything goes back to the EEC
Old 07-04-2005, 01:11 PM
tosen

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old 07-04-2005, 04:36 PM
tosen

Ok, so now I can get my car running, but I have to bypass the Fuel Pump Relay.

The relay is getting power on both sides, its just the switch in the relay refuses to close, which wont supply power to the Fuel pump...

Ive put three different relays on there, all the same problem.

I can get the fuel pump to work, and the car to start, if I just bypass the relay by hooking power to the relay wire...

Question is, if I bypass the Fuel Pump Relay, what kind of problems can I have?
Old 07-04-2005, 04:40 PM
jhogan2424
2nd Gear Member

Just make sure you have a nice hot wire to the fuel pump when the ignition is on. You shouldn't have a problem. Or, to be safter.... Get on Ebay and get a generic realy. They are cheap, something like 5 bucks and they come with a wiring diagram. Start from scratch and install this realy totaly independant from the stock realy. That would be the safest way to do it, bypassing all the getto-rigged promblems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...984486365&rd=1
Old 07-04-2005, 07:27 PM
tosen

Thanks, I think thats what I am going to do... maybe someday I will figure out exactly whats going on with this, but for now, i need my car, heh.