5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A Few questions from a newer stangbanger.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by kilby94
I agree with you that suspension is important and can net you great gains.

But with a stock engine and 4:10 gears i don't see that running very good. A stock motor quits making power right around 5,000 rpm. With just a set of gt-40's, decent intake, cam, that power band will increase to maybe 5,800-6,000 rpm.. That would let you use more of your power to get down the track.

With that said, i think the first thing that i did to my car was put upper/lower control arms, 50/50 rear shocks, and eibach drag springs on it..

think what you'd like.

getting gt40 heads at the very cheapest would be 100 for a set at the JY. often times they are 75k+ miles. first and foremost they will need to be decked. so add cost for that. money says the guides are shot and will need to be replaced. more money.... valve job 150+ = more money gasket set 65+= more money.

i bet you if he got gt40's he wouldnt get them on his car for any less than 400 dollars. if he did, he got lucky or poor work done.

i have lots of friends with stangs. i've seen suspension out stangs walk a c4, c5 vette, ls1 powered vehicles. and they've hardly dropped a dime to do it(relatively speaking)

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 07-07-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

gt40s are decent heads but id go with suspension and worry about power later, if your spinning ur not winning is the saying so get it to hook then try to make it not hook with more power. hell im running 11.0s footbraking my car n I have gt40s so dont worry about the heads for now. its already been said but get the suspension then slap a blower or some juice on it
Old 07-07-2009, 04:31 PM
kilby94
2nd Gear Member

I agree..

But his question was what are some engine mods for $1000. He never said he was building a 1/4 mile car to compete with c-4, c-5, or lsx cars.. Seems to me that he wants a little more hp..
Old 07-07-2009, 06:17 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by kilby94
I agree..

But his question was what are some engine mods for $1000. He never said he was building a 1/4 mile car to compete with c-4, c-5, or lsx cars.. Seems to me that he wants a little more hp..

trust me i understand his question and i understand his intention. many people are under the impression HP makes fast times......not entirely. its more understanding the customers intention rather than what they are asking. they themselves may not know what needing to achieve their goal and under false impressions. BTDT, i was and still am that guy sometimes...
Old 07-08-2009, 01:42 AM
The Stang Mang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the info and sugestions guys, and i have thought about doing suspension mods as well, but i'm not that big of a drag guy, my idea of a sweet ride is one that has the power and can take corners like its on rails. So my suspension mods would be aimed towards the twisties and not so much the strait line.
So more or less my suspension mods would be more costly than some drag springs and control arms, so i decided on spending the money i have now on the motor to make it a decent runner, and mod the suspension later when the pay checks start rollin in.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

for twisties, you will be faster if you spend $1000 on the suspension then on the engine
Old 07-08-2009, 02:34 AM
The Stang Mang
1st Gear Member

Alright so suppose i did do suspension work, what should i spend my money on?

I know i would do weld in subframe connectors, probably shocks/struts, i have springs on the way, and i would also get a strut tower brace.

Anything else? Keep in mind i'm looking for best bang for my buck mods (but then again who isn't).
Old 07-08-2009, 03:01 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

K-member
Front Control Arms
Torque-arm
Panhard Bar
Subframe Connectors
Coil-over Kit
Coil-over springs
Caster/Camber Plates
Rear Lower Control Arms
struts
shocks
Springs(depending on the stiffness you want/need)
Swaybars(depending on your taste)
Strut Tower Brace
poly swaybar Bushings
poly swaybar End Links

these would make an excellent corner carver, but another aspect you need to consider is upgrading the brakes, foxes have a bad reputation for weak brakes.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L
K-member
Front Control Arms -MM
Torque-arm -MM
Panhard Bar -MM
Subframe Connectors - BOI
Coil-over Kit
Coil-over springs
Caster/Camber Plates
Rear Lower Control Arms -adjustables
struts -strange engineering
shocks -strange engineering
Springs(depending on the stiffness you want/need) for corners, HR springs
Swaybars(depending on your taste)
Strut Tower Brace
poly swaybar Bushings
poly swaybar End Links

these would make an excellent corner carver, but another aspect you need to consider is upgrading the brakes, foxes have a bad reputation for weak brakes.

hit on about every ideal suspension mod i did edit in my opinion though ^^
Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
here is a tip. leave your motor alone. you have a lot of gear for a 5speed on stock set up. suspension suspension suspension.

with a good driver on 410 gears, sticky tires and suspension you'll net yourself a low 13, high 12 second car. being 18 i assume this is pretty much your DD? doing suspension is easy, inexpensive(relatively speaking) and quick. you'll complete most suspension upgrades within a couple of hours.

once you have a decent base, either bolt on a used supercharger or then begin your HCI.... you'll thank me later
+1 im 19 5.0 5spd

i threw about 500 buck into my front suspension and its a godly differance. Mind you it was squeeky and i wanted to fix it. I have 230 K ( km's ) on my car and then engine and tranny are fine, im waiting to get an egine and start a complete build. I know you can get short blocks for like $800 which is the route i may take.

Next spring im doing rear suspension when i have fundage upper and lowers.

Mines my dd as well.

Quick Reply: A Few questions from a newer stangbanger.