5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

burning coolant! need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM
stangman24

Default burning coolant! need some help.

my car is leaking coolant but i am not sure where exactly. I do however know its coming from behind the engine by the firewall and dripping onto the ground. The #8 plug is wet and i am guessing its leaking somewhere and being ignited in that cylinder. I have absolutely no clue as to where it might be leaking for it to be able to get into the cylinder. I hope someone here might be able to give me an idea where to look and what to do about it. thank you
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
rbinck
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a head gasket leak. Usually when this happens the coolant will be gunky brown. A radiator shop can check this for you. The fix is replace the head gasket or you could try a product called Thermagasket. You flush the cooling system to get rid of all of the anti-freeze down to pure water. Next you add the two parts to water as directed then you drive the car for a period of time to keep it at operating temp. You leave the product in the system for two weeks, I think it is and then flush again. I have use it on a 5.0 and it worked very well for me. No guarantee, but might be worth a shot.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 PM
stangman24

Originally Posted by rbinck
Sounds like a head gasket leak. Usually when this happens the coolant will be gunky brown. A radiator shop can check this for you. The fix is replace the head gasket or you could try a product called Thermagasket. You flush the cooling system to get rid of all of the anti-freeze down to pure water. Next you add the two parts to water as directed then you drive the car for a period of time to keep it at operating temp. You leave the product in the system for two weeks, I think it is and then flush again. I have use it on a 5.0 and it worked very well for me. No guarantee, but might be worth a shot.
the last owner put new alum. heads on it and im sure he replaced all the gaskets, but then again he told me that the #8 cyl has low compression and when i tested it it was 140lbs. could it also be the gasket below the low intake? or is that the head gasket? Isnt is block *gasket* head *gasket* lower intake *gasket* upper intake? i am not to inclined in this area.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
gt884me
2nd Gear Member

Could be the back of the lower intake to the block...it probably has a cork gasket on it...it needs a bead of silicone not a gasket...typical signs of a cork gasket
Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

if the leak is external, check the hose that runs from the bottom/back of the lower intake and runs towards the passenger side into the firewall. i believe its the lower heater core hose. popped on all 3 of my fox's. its very hard to see where it connects to the intake, and not too much fun to replace, either. extendable mirrors and plenty of lighting will help here.

Last edited by mattdel; 07-08-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 AM
stangman24

Originally Posted by gt884me
Could be the back of the lower intake to the block...it probably has a cork gasket on it...it needs a bead of silicone not a gasket...typical signs of a cork gasket
Wouldn't a new gasket fix the problem or like you said " it needs a bead no matter what"?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 AM
stangman24

Originally Posted by mattdel
if the leak is external, check the hose that runs from the bottom/back of the lower intake and runs towards the passenger side into the firewall. i believe its the lower heater core hose. popped on all 3 of my fox's. its very hard to see where it connects to the intake, and not too much fun to replace, either. extendable mirrors and plenty of lighting will help here.
I will check and replace it if i am able to. Antifreeze is being burnt so i dont think its a hose, but i will for sure replace that hose to save future problems.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

well, you said it's dripping onto the ground.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:48 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

If it is leaking where the lower intake manifold meet's the BLOCK and not the HEAD's do not use a cork gasket. use a bead of silicone to seal it.

it could be at the head gasket, the head's could be warped from any number of things.

could also be from the intake manifold as stated.

good luck.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if the leak is external as you state it's not being burnt by combustion but most likely it is getting on the headers which is what is burning, pressure test system and look for the leak with a led light and small mirror

Quick Reply: burning coolant! need some help.