5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Breaking Clutch Cables

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:33 AM
B.Thorson
1st Gear Member

ya the retainer is the only thing breaking. but no the pedal force is not excessive at all but right before the last two have broken you can feel the pedal tense up and then give way and break.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

pics of said broken parts, and area images of where its installed please

sounds like something isnt installed right
Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 PM
B.Thorson
1st Gear Member

i dont think i have enough post to post pictures do I?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...orums-com.html
Old 07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
B.Thorson
1st Gear Member

well my cars at a buddys shop so when we go to put the new one in ill take some pictures
Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 PM
B.Thorson
1st Gear Member

ok heres the deal just got done replacing the cable and it turns out on the last one it broke on the fork this time so it has to be the off brand cables i was using from the auto parts dealer so we will see what happens to this one if i breaks i might just have to turn it into a linkage...
Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1ATony
The factory Ford ones are better than the aftermarket ones.Let us know how you make out with it.
That is only half the storey.

The full storey is, yes they are better. By how much I don't know but they cost about 5 times more.

By the way, Ford Racing is an imported cable assembly also.

Do you have long tube headers, is the cable routed correctly and check the angle from the firewall to the quadrant. It needs to pull straight out of the firewall.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:09 PM
B.Thorson
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram

The full storey is, yes they are better. By how much I don't know but they cost about 5 times more.

Do you have long tube headers, is the cable routed correctly and check the angle from the firewall to the quadrant. It needs to pull straight out of the firewall.
well so far the ford ones are a hell of a lot better i have had it in for quit some time now and haven't had to adjust it or broke anything take for granted that you should only need to adjust them about every 8 months is what i have been told and no i have just shorty headers and its routed fine but i have rapped it with alum. foil to keep some of the heat they produce off..
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Strokednforged

Cool Broken cable

Originally Posted by Jfsram

I just broke a clutch cable on my 93 fox which is built nicely to include a 12lb vortech tf heads n many other mods, 2 days ago n ordered A new cable from muscle mustangs it was (A FORD RACING Type) in the mean time I picked one up from auto zone because I grew inpatient waiting for the overnighted cable LMFAO!!! I made this decision more so because i didn't receive my shipping details as stated by mm as of the next day or even yet to b precise. so pissed as I was I went n grabbed 1 from auto zone. I dropped the auto zone cable at the garage so the mechanic could throw it in for me. I went n picked the car up ( well I tried to anyways) when I got to the garage the mechanic informed me that when he test drove the car the brand new cable from auto zone had snapped ( right at the firewall) the plastic grommet type fitting exploded kinda. Well just b4 I left to pick my stang up at the garage my shipping company,((U.P.S)) arrived with the new cable from ford racing ie. muscle mustangs. However I didn't bring the new cable with me when i went to pick up my stang as I didn't know yet that the new cable had broken. So now the plan is to return in the a.m. N have the ford racing cable installed GRrr so I'm hoping this does the trick? The last cable frayed n broke from wear n tear supposedly as the mechanic said. So yeah wish Me luck please n I'm praying that the new FORD,RACING CLUTCH CABLE WILL DO THE JOB? This sux big CACK I tell u what! (IF THIS DOESN'T FIX THE PROBLEM IM THINKING A NEW ALUMINUM QUADRANT, CABLE, ADJUSTABLE FULL KIT SET UP FROM EITHER STEEDA OR I 4get the other name brand, Bbk also has a kit that I've heard comes highly recommended by other forum members on here n a few other sites I'm a member on!!! Will post back on results tills then keep it fast n have a blast my stang frenz!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

DO NOT.., I REPEAT DO NOT BUY ANY FROM AUTOZONE PERIOD!! I went thru 3 of those within 3 weeks.. disgusted! Any aftermarket will do!

Quick Reply: Breaking Clutch Cables