5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MM Roll bar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
swing out bars for sure!! take pics when you do it!!!
Will do, I'll take a few along the way, as long as I remember, which I usually don't :\
Old 07-16-2009, 12:12 AM
killamaniac
1st Gear Member

I am also looking forward to hearing from you, I was interested in the same exact bar. Also, may i ask, what tach do you have in your car? i saw a vid and it had a digital RPM along with the mechanical needle.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by killamaniac
I am also looking forward to hearing from you, I was interested in the same exact bar. Also, may i ask, what tach do you have in your car? i saw a vid and it had a digital RPM along with the mechanical needle.
Has more than digital RPM Tells me everything about my car, have my wideband, coolant temp, trans temp and oil pressure all run through it. If any one of them goes out of range (where I have it set to what should be max or min) it will start beeping and flashing at me, better than any gauge or dummy light in your cluster.

Called the G-Tech Pro EGS
Old 07-16-2009, 12:23 AM
killamaniac
1st Gear Member

holy **** Im in love. Its like a 900 dollar gauge with everything on it though isnt it?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

holy **** Im in love. Its like a 900 dollar gauge with everything on it though isnt it?
Nope. to add the 8-channel module it's 160 or something (that's coolant, trans temp, oil pressure and whatever else you feel like throwing on it, will read widebands in stock trim) I think it was... 350 or something like that, with the 4-stage shift light
Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 AM
killamaniac
1st Gear Member

gotcha, then a widband is prolly another 160 or so, and any other channels. Well still, Its awesome. Now i dont know if i want to get a florida50 cluster or that! I wub your car man, its awesome!
Old 07-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

gotcha, then a widband is prolly another 160 or so, and any other channels. Well still, Its awesome. Now i dont know if i want to get a florida50 cluster or that! I wub your car man, its awesome!
Aha thank you. That's what about 25 grand.. maybe a bit more... will get you if you put it into a fox :\
Old 07-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Got the Roll Bar today after a hellish dealing with customs and brokers. First off I didn't know I needed to hire my own broker, so I got the call asking who my broker was, so I found a broker and hired them. Then the broker wouldn't take a MC or Visa and wanted a wire transfer, try and find a place to do that in Canada, eventually convinced them to take a money order. So all's good finally. NOT. Get a call from a DIFFERENT brokerage company saying they have my package, explained to them they aren't my broker and have it set-up with another broker, so then I call the shipping company and start screaming. Next day I got my shipment free of charge. So all worked out

ANYWAYS.

Played with it for about 2.5 hours and got it half way done roughly, all fell right into place and fit excellent. Only extremely minor thing I had to do was drill a rivet from a brake line underneath the car as the back-up plate wants to go there. Not a big deal. I see the floor's going to get crushed... A LOT when I tighten these bolts down, but what can you do? You're bolting a mostly flat, they did put a bend in it to help some, piece of steel to the floor boards which have creases everywhere. The wheel well back-up plates were the ones I was worried about most, as it is quite the bend they have in those plates, but, low and behold, it fit PERFECT. All in all, extremely happy with this kit. I will update as I go, I hope to have it done by Monday. Total installation time, minus welding and painting, should be roughly 5-6 hours. Here's some snaps for the curious, it's all just mocked up right now, haven't tightened any bolts yet to suck the floor up to the plates.

Oh, one thing, I do have one complaint. Whoever they are paying to pack the roll-bar, is getting paid waaaay too much. It took me a half hour to get the thing out of all the packing. Seriously, it's a roll-bar, don't worry about it getting dinged, worry about whatever is next to it.

This is the packing I had to deal with

Setup in the car

Main-hoop to floor (drivers)

Drivers swing out bar, hits the armrest, just going to move it in about 1/2" at the base plate then heat the armrest with a heat going and slam the door when I get it all in.

Pass. Rear brace sitting on wheel well.

Brake lines I had to drill out under pass side main hoop as back-up plate wanted to go where brake lines were, I'll just use a self tapping screw and screw it back onto the back-up plate.

Drivers main-hoop back-up plate

Duct taped back-up plate in drivers quarter (had no-one around to hold it in place while I marked the holes to drill, so I improvised)

Holes marked

Drilled 2 holes only, that way I had some manueverability after I set it in place for the other 2 holes

Bolted in with 2 bolts

Now all 4

Top side

I improvised here to as I didn't want to score up my freshly restored quarters, so I used some masking tape and marked where I have to drill it on that, now just drill that hole, no other scratching from my trying to mark it. (this is where the bar will go through on the passenger side [remember, mine has the new style quarters installed, if you have the older ones, like my car originally came with, you don't have that speaker, and will have to slice your panel])
Old 07-27-2009, 04:22 PM
stanks347
2nd Gear Member

I put one in my vert. It is a good kit. Just follow the directions. Some tweaking might be needed on the swing out bars. All in all bye-bye back seat.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanks347
I put one in my vert. It is a good kit. Just follow the directions. Some tweaking might be needed on the swing out bars. All in all bye-bye back seat.
I've noticed that. They didn't fit so good after they were bolted down, so I just bought a bunch of 1 3/4" washers and slipped them into the tube to space the swing-out bar up, driver side took one (which is about 1/8") Pass side took 5 and a quarter I had laying on the floor Pass side still needs a bit of work, just going to grind out the bottom hole ever-so-slightly. Just actually did this not 5 minutes ago. Also had to use a bunch of 2 1/2" bolts to suck everything up, the ones it came with just weren't long enough, after it molds the floor and bends the back-up plates, was able to use the bolts that came with it.

I'll have some fresh pics tomorrow after everything fits 100%, then I just have to drill my quarter trim panels, take it out and weld and paint it, then bolt it back in. Hole ordeal took me about 5 hours. All went very smooth until the swing-out bars.

Quick Reply: MM Roll bar?