5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pro Electric Help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:03 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
I can't really listen to the sound since I am at work... but about 2 and a half years ago after starting up my car, releasing the key from the crank position to the on position, the motor kept cranking over. Or should I say the starter kept going. I forget the exact problem, but I had to have the starter replaced and maybe the solenoid, can't honestly remember. This was on a 2 month old starter, mind you.
that doesn't sound exactly the same as the issue i am having, in that my motor won't turn over while my stater spins, but somewhat similar. That is a damn shame i really hope my brand new starter isn't bad >_<
Old 07-20-2009, 01:05 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grundy
change your ignition cylinder.
i thought about that, but while i was trying to figure out the wiring on the starter selenoid before i found the right way here on the forums, i had power everywhere when the key was on, and my starter selenoid buzzed when i cranked it. do you still think the ignition cylinder is bad?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
grab a test light and see where you have 12v in the run position, you shouldn't have any current on the starter wire in run, if you do b ack trace it to prob, or a wire is in the wong spot on the selonoid
seeing as how its 2 AM i'll hop on that tomorrow morning after i wake up. I know the stater selenoid is hooked up right, i did a good bit of research on that and made sure i got it right this time around.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:09 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram
If you do find power at the big starter wire. You then need to find out why.
It's either the solenoid stuck closed or the small wire on the top in your picture is hot during key on. It should only be hot when the clutch is down and the key is in start position.

Even after you get that all sorted out. That sounds like a starter spinning but not engaging to the flywheel.

Is the starter a one or two wire?
One wire starters have one big wire near the front, on top.
Two wire starters have a big one in the middle with a small one beside it.
Like i said, i'll make sure to figure that out tomorrow so can't really say much on that right yet...

yeah that was my guess with the starter, but i have no idea why it woudln't be, as you can see in the picture it is bolted up snug against the case.

The starter is a one wire.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Since its my birthday i convinced my mom to let my dad work on the car today with me. We took out the new starter and found one of our problems:

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/DSC01422.jpg

so i put the stock starter back in place and when the key is clicked to "on" or "crank" the starter will spin, BUT the motor will not crank over. So we took our stock starter selenoid and put that back on, and when we did that the car acted normal until i cranked it, and the starter didn't turn. However i got dash lights, and when i cranked it the check engine and oil lights came on as per normal. So i thought maybe it was the starter selenoid was bad cause i ****ed with it so much so i went to the store and bought a new one and hooked it up as instructed:

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/DSC01414.jpg

and it does this now, just like with the other selenoid:

http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MOV01413.flv
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

on an unrelated note- i saw this which appears to be a vacuum line coming off of my throttle body and goes to nothing... is this normal?

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/DSC01419.jpg

does anyone know why with the stock selenoid it would be acting normal but not cranking and with both new selenoids it would crank when in the on or crank position? thanks!!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:51 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

bump bump
Old 07-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

You have the solenoid wired wrong, REALLY wrong. Looks like you have the starter power cable on the other side of it? Should be the IGNITION cable on the other side, starter power cable should be on the power terminal of the solenoid. Try that out and see what happens, I've never seen anyone wire one like that :\ And honestly, I don't even know how that even works :\ How you have it wired, you starter solenoid is getting power 100% of the time, even with key off, meaning frying the solenoid or the wiring going to it, will happen quite shortly.

That vacuum line is for the EGR, I believe it goes into the block with the other vacuum lines but I don't remember, I took all that stuff out.

Here is what your solenoid should look like. Also, if it still cranks over, pull off the red/blue wire and see if it has power when you just turn the ignition to on, it should not.

Last edited by Liquid_02; 07-26-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

From his picture it looks like he has it set up correctly. The large black cable on the frontmost terminal goes under the engine to the starter....

The vacuum line is part of the EGR system and will cause a vacuum leak. Repair it or find a junkyard replacement as I don't know of a replacement supplier.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
From his picture it looks like he has it set up correctly. The large black cable on the frontmost terminal goes under the engine to the starter....

The vacuum line is part of the EGR system and will cause a vacuum leak. Repair it or find a junkyard replacement as I don't know of a replacement supplier.

Oh wait, ya sorry. He has the old starter on his car, not the new mini-starter. Dis-regard that.

Just check to see if the blue-red wire has power to it all the time

Quick Reply: Pro Electric Help PLEASE