5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Just want to make sure these lifters will fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Default Just want to make sure these lifters will fit

Ok so I found a great deal on some link bar lifters. They are COMP Cams part # 8931-16. Just wanted to make sure they will fit as I kinda already bought them cause the deal was so good. I have a stock 5.0 block.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:31 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Creetan
Ok so I found a great deal on some link bar lifters. They are COMP Cams part # 8931-16. Just wanted to make sure they will fit as I kinda already bought them cause the deal was so good. I have a stock 5.0 block.
Why would you even want them? Link bar lifters are for retro-fitting roller lifters into an engine, and they are terrible on top of that. If a link breaks, which they do, your lifter will spin and eat out your cam, and worst case scenario, send a pushrod through your head or block, I have seen it happen. The stock spider system is MUCH, MUCH better than any link-bar system. Lifters are lighter, so requires less spring and power, and they never spin, as the dog bone system there are no moving parts to hold the lifters straight.

On top of that, link-bars take a different cam, they're made to retrofit, retrofit cams are ground differently, they have a smaller-diameter base-circle, so you will need to swap out your cam, as well as buy different push-rods due to the extra length of the link-bars.

Sorry to say, you wasted your money :\ They will fit, just lots more money for a less reliable system. Just buy a stock set of rollers

Last edited by Liquid_02; 07-17-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

delete
Old 07-17-2009, 01:54 AM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Looks like I will be getting a set of stock style then. Could always just resell. Don't know alot of lifters but now I know more. thanks
Old 07-17-2009, 07:03 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Liquid_02
Why would you even want them? Link bar lifters are for retro-fitting roller lifters into an engine, and they are terrible on top of that. If a link breaks, which they do, your lifter will spin and eat out your cam, and worst case scenario, send a pushrod through your head or block, I have seen it happen. The stock spider system is MUCH, MUCH better than any link-bar system. Lifters are lighter, so requires less spring and power, and they never spin, as the dog bone system there are no moving parts to hold the lifters straight.

On top of that, link-bars take a different cam, they're made to retrofit, retrofit cams are ground differently, they have a smaller-diameter base-circle, so you will need to swap out your cam, as well as buy different push-rods due to the extra length of the link-bars.

Sorry to say, you wasted your money :\ They will fit, just lots more money for a less reliable system. Just buy a stock set of rollers
whoa whoa whoa... hold the phone.

link bar lifters can be used in a OEM roller block on a stardard base circle camshaft without ANY problems. Infact, I am running a set right now. They are actually a better lifter to run in a high performance application as they have a lower bleed down rate than a standard lifter.

also, regular lifters are limited to around .600 lift. Any higher than that and the lifter will actually start slapping nto the dog bone and will crack it in half, sending the dog bone into the engine, and spinning a lifter.

FYI, everything is breakable. So if you are avoiding buying something because someone had it fail on them... you wouldnt own a car!

Last edited by AdderMk2; 07-17-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Ok so I am fine with the link bar set up? I had always thought they were better just wasn't sure though.