5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

headers- how about intalling??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

Default headers- how about intalling??

alright my long tubes r coming tuesday.. now i have no clue on how to put em in.. so can anyone fill me in on what to do.. is it gonna be a total hassle?? that kinda thing.. i need some help on this topic
Old 07-02-2005, 04:15 PM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: headers- how about intalling??

yyou either take the motor mounts out and lift up the motor some and slide it in. might have to take out the steering column in the engine bay. take the spark plugs out so you dont break them during instalation. the driver side you will have to get from the bottom and the passenger side, you will have to take the starter out and make sure you dont have clearance problems, cause i boguth some mac long tubes, and i had to knock the headers a bit. when it comes time to get the starter back in, you will have trouble putting the 10 mm bolt back in to the wire that conents to the starter becasue there is no room. if you cant get the headers in that way you gotta pull the tranny out and youll have all the room in the world, BUT do not tighten any header bolts yet. put the tranny back in first! and hte starter to ake sure you dont have any clearnace problems.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:15 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

There are a couple of guys on that recently installed them maybe they will ring in here in a sec,but from what i heard it is a PITA,All know is that the motor mounts have to be loosened and the motor raised some to get them in on one side if not both,and i think the steering shaft has to be unbolted and moved out of the way and they will only go in from the bottom.Like i said a big PITA.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

ahhhh... that is such a pain... so we're lookin at like 3 hours of working
Old 07-02-2005, 04:35 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

one guy took like 3-4 days to install his i think it was luckythirteen.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:34 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

i just redid my drivers side today. didn't take long at all. i have hooker equal lenght shorties. i haven't done the passenger side yet.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:40 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

it doesnt take long it only took me 3-4 hours
Old 07-03-2005, 12:36 AM
oneshot
2nd Gear Member

had long tube headers on my first coupe.it sucked that was the most agravating thing ever nothing wanted to go back in place.if you got a choice run shortys
Old 07-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Grey Fox
1st Gear Member

If I had it to do over again I might have left the equal-length shorties in rather than putting in my long tubes.

The 10 mm starter bolt is an SOB, like stated by a previous poster. The trick to that is using a gear wrench, one of those open ends that ratchets...at least that's what did it for me...

Careful with your speedo cable and the starter wire, if they're too close they'll fry or dry out....
Old 07-04-2005, 09:43 AM
gambit90lx
2nd Gear Member

just installed my bbk longtube saturday and now my car is skipping very badly could it be an exhaust leak everything seems to be tight.................AND INSTALLING THEM WAS A PAIN IN THE ****............****.........****..........any help on my problem would be much appreciated

Quick Reply: headers- how about intalling??