5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starter keeps cranking with NO KEYS IN CAR!

Old 07-04-2005, 04:59 PM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

Default Starter keeps cranking with NO KEYS IN CAR!

Hi all ..... I have a starting problem with my 91 5.0. i go to start it and nothing.. but i have full juice. so i changed the starter relay, and still nothing. so i figured id jump it with the new starter relay ....... it started but my starter didnt stop cranking AFTER IT WAS RUNNING. I had to run to the back OF THE CAR and dissconnect the battery cable. When i put it back on...with keys out of the car and everything .... its starts cranking right away and wont stop. PLEASE HELP ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY!
Old 07-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Starter keeps cranking with NO KEYS IN CAR!

check your crank signal wire. its the red/blue wire on the S terminal. that is what tells the solenoid to send power to the starter. thats why your starter wire isnt always hot. its only hot when it gets the signal and hte contacts close in the solenoid.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:41 PM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

Ok I inspected it .. it looked fine.. i took it off .... and hooked up the battery..... and it still started craking. This is driving me nutz. [:@]
Old 07-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Greybeard

Sounds like 1: you have the Batt + and Starter feed wires on the same post, or 2: the new starter relay may have welded itself closed on the first start rendering the solenoid useless. With the crank signal disconnected, the S terminal of the solenoid that can't fire the relay to engage the contactors inside the relay.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:15 PM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

what exactly does the starter feed wire look like .. and what post is it suppose to be on? your not talkin about the crank signal wire are ya? And what would cause it to weld it self closed?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:25 AM
StangTangGT
3rd Gear Member

had this problem a few times and replaced the solenoid a few times as well. it is the starter solenoid. if it starts doing it and you bang it a good time or two with a wrench it will stop(until you turn the car off then on again. it keeps cranking cause the solenoid is stuck open or closed, cant remember which. replace the solenoid and i almost garauntee the problem is resolved.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:29 AM
fastfox86
2nd Gear Member

you hooked up the solenoid backwards most likely. When I changed mine out for and aftermarket auto store one is looked the same and mounted the same as the factory one, but the posts were reversed. You may have damaged it the first time you started the car. Just go buy a new one and make sure it's hooked up right before you crank.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:47 AM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

How do I tell what sides what?
Old 07-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

on the solenoid the one side where the mounting bolt is close to the post is the battery side. the other side is the starter side. or look at this way the one post that is to the left of the S terminal is the battery one
Old 07-05-2005, 06:16 PM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

Got it fixed .. thank god! I went back and exchanged the relay... and I hooked it up the opposite way it was orginally hooked up. + on the - post and - on the + post and it worked... WIERD......... thats messed up.... the connections were opposite of my old relay.. So i figured why it kept cranking with no power is ....... .... I had it backwards .. so it wouldnt start ... I thought the battery was low ... so i put some cables on it....started it and fried it ... so it kept starting... like dude said it was welded together so it was constantly sending juice to the starter. Could having it hooked up backwards cause it to do something like that?? Or like Autozone said "It doesnt matter what post you put it on." Thanx for all your help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter keeps cranking with NO KEYS IN CAR!