5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New member. 94 GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 PM
hester21289

Default New member. 94 GT

94 GT 5 speed, 133k miles.

Staggered Saleen wheels, home-made intake, flowmaster mufflers, and everything else is original as far as I know.

It has a few problems I want to ask about.

When the flowmasters were installed, they cut the two rear catalytic converters off. And it looks like there are two tubes/hoses hanging down where the cats were. When I accelerate or rev the engine, the tubes make a whining noise. I'm thinking its the smog pump, anyone have more info on that??

Also it gets pretty bad gas mileage, I mean like 40 miles on 1/4 of a tank. Thats not normal I hope?? haha

The "Low Coolant" and "Anti-lock" lights are on the dash. It has a Check Engine Light too, I'm gonna go to Autozone soon to get that checked out. Im thinking its from the cats being removed.

And lastly, when I have someone ride with me in the pass. seat, the suspension makes a screeching noise when I accelerate or hit a bump, any ideas to what that is?

Thank you very much for any help or suggestions!!!

BTW I live in Winder GA if anyone is around me!!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Fox23
2nd Gear Member

Welcome! id like to see that home made intake! get pics! and i dont think 40miles per 1/4 is normal :S could be because of your exhaust?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

The 94-95 Mustangs are notorious for triggering the check engine light, especially the more miles they have. You can blame Ford for their emissions friendly tune and smog equipment. With that said, run codes. Also, now would be a the time for a full tuneup. Replace the cap n' rotor, new plugs and wires, replace the fuel filter, oil change and CLEAN THE MAF. Your car will run so much better.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:25 PM
hester21289

It looks custom to me, maybe its not.

The two tubes I mentioned.^^^

I can remove the smog eqipment right?? How do I go about doing that??

Oh yea, how do I aim the headlights?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:35 PM
tranceaddict
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hester21289

It looks custom to me, maybe its not.

The two tubes I mentioned.^^^

I can remove the smog eqipment right?? How do I go about doing that??

Oh yea, how do I aim the headlights?

Thanks guys.
the intake isnt custom lol. looks like u need to switch those two couplers, wrong one in wrong place. also i have no idea wtf that is by ur exhaust. doesnt look like any cat delete ive ever seen
Old 07-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Looks like a wannabe exhaust cut out...
Old 07-23-2009, 03:29 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

There is an air hose that connects to the passenger side of the h/x pipe, and without that it would make a noise. Also, that may be the cause for the check engine light and definitely hurting your mileage..

As far as the coolant light, did you check your coolant level...?

120/ tank is pretty low for a stock car, I average about 170 around town, higher when I go on the highway.

Theres nothing wrong with the intake, its just an ebayer.

Headlight aiming - loosen the corner lights by first moving the plastic shroud over the radiator support, and loosening the nut on either corner light. Then when you move the corner light away from the headlight assembly, you will see a small phillips head screw on the outside of the headlight housing, toward the corner. Turn that to aim up and down, and to aim side to side, you need to remove the housing entirely and spin the set screw on the side of the headlight closest to the center of the car.

...hope thats clear

Last edited by USMC1775; 07-23-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:35 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Just reread and looked at the pics a bit. The suspension noise your best bet would be to crawl underneath and have someone try and bounce the car somewhat, and try to pinpoint the sound's origin. (think before you go under the car)

Also - was the car clean title? the radiator support looks to be replaced, seeing as how its the only think that looks like black primer when it should be the same as the rest of the car.

Last edited by USMC1775; 07-23-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMC1775
There is an air hose that connects to the passenger side of the h/x pipe, and without that it would make a noise. Also, that may be the cause for the check engine light and definitely hurting your mileage..

As far as the coolant light, did you check your coolant level...?

120/ tank is pretty low for a stock car, I average about 170 around town, higher when I go on the highway.

Theres nothing wrong with the intake, its just an ebayer.

Headlight aiming - loosen the corner lights by first moving the plastic shroud over the radiator support, and loosening the nut on either corner light. Then when you move the corner light away from the headlight assembly, you will see a small phillips head screw on the outside of the headlight housing, toward the corner. Turn that to aim up and down, and to aim side to side, you need to remove the housing entirely and spin the set screw on the side of the headlight closest to the center of the car.

...hope thats clear
Yes...+1000. When my car was stock I got about 50mpg per 1/4 used through an AODE, so you should get more. Like I said also, give your car a good tuneup. Our car's run like crap if not tuned-up right.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

OP your car is obd 1 catalyst is not monitored and therefore is not a cause why CEL is on, run a DIY koer test and see what codes come up

Quick Reply: New member. 94 GT