5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

getting rocker arms today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:10 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Default getting rocker arms today.

Im going today to pick up my 1.7 rocker arms. im getting the crane 1.7 energy pedistal mount rocker arms. I just take the old ones off and put these on correct. also does anyone know the torque specs on rocker arms? heads are stock on a 94 GT. is there anything i should watch out for? thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 01:19 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

Default RE: getting rocker arms today.

no, not correct. you have to get the cylinder to tdc, then tighten the rocker until u cant shake the pushrod any more. then tighten an extra 1/4 or half of a turn (will say in directions). repeat for each cylinder
Old 07-05-2005, 02:41 PM
jhogan2424
2nd Gear Member

And you are going to have a lot more problems.... The valve covers on the 94 and 95 cars will not fit on top of the 1.7 rockers. You will have to get taller valve covers or put double gaskets on your stock ones. This leads to another problem..... After making your valve covers tall enough to fit over the rockers, your valve covers will hit the bottom of your intake. So, in this case you will need an intake spacer. And once again this will lead to another problem.... You may not have the hood clearance needed. Good luck my friend.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jhogan2424

And you are going to have a lot more problems.... The valve covers on the 94 and 95 cars will not fit on top of the 1.7 rockers. You will have to get taller valve covers or put double gaskets on your stock ones. This leads to another problem..... After making your valve covers tall enough to fit over the rockers, your valve covers will hit the bottom of your intake. So, in this case you will need an intake spacer. And once again this will lead to another problem.... You may not have the hood clearance needed. Good luck my friend.
he's right
Old 07-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

also without upgraded springs its going to hurt performance. and with those rockers you dont need to do that snug then turn again. that is for stud style for pedistal. you take htem to stock torque specs. but you do want the piston at TDC. then tighten down. 20ftlbs with engine oil being youre lubicant
Old 07-05-2005, 06:21 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

ok i just bought them and got home and have seen what everyone has posted. i asked about taller valve covers and the guy said i should be fine that it may hit just grind down the inside of the valve cover where it is hitting..he said to do that before i put them back on the car or just wait and if i here it hitting then take it off and you will see where its hitting and know exactly where to grind it down. i dunno if this will work or not but he said thats what he did to his and it was fine.. so i have to get every cylinder to TDC? how do i do this? can you take the spark plug out and wait to the compression stroke and find each cylinders TDC this way? also without upgraded springs its going to hurt performance. and with those rockers you dont need to do that snug then turn again. that is for stud style for pedistal. you take htem to stock torque specs. but you do want the piston at TDC. then tighten down. 20ftlbs with engine oil being youre lubicant. how would the springs hurt the performance? so 20 ftlbs is the torque and what do i do with the engine oil?
Old 07-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

you use engine oil in the bolt holes. that helps to get correct torque specs.

without upgraded springs you will get valve float. see youre increasing lift and stock springs arent really strong enough for that so once you get to a certain RPM you will get float cause the springs wont beable to hold up to the increase in lift. others have ran them and had lose of performance on stock springs.

take each plug out one at a time and turn motor over to you see the pistion or in your case remove plug and then put your finger there. when it blows out your finger then youre at TDC. then do the rocker.

for my rockers i had my intake off. i did each one this way but i could see the lifters without my intake on. but once you do all 16 of them then go back and recheck them after you spun the motor over a few times.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

.30 lift shouldn't hurt the spring unless they have tons of miles or have the valve been floated before.. you could always pick up a cheap set of the aluminum one;s that came on the 93- earlier and do a touch of grinding....hell this was the set up on the 93 cobra
Old 07-06-2005, 04:45 AM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Just got done working on my suspension. got all 4 eibach pro kit springs in tonight and gave up on the upper and lower control arms till tomorrow. me and my friend are going to do the control arms and the rocker arms. i took everything you guys said to do the rocker arms but still have more questions. 1) can i use the stock valve covers and grind them out? 2) is it very neccessary to get the new valve springs. the hold new valve covers leading to a spacer and a new hood kind of thing isnt really the way i want to go. thats alot of money. i eventually want to get a hood but not right now.. thanks for the responses
Old 07-06-2005, 05:08 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

you can run your valve covers just fine, just grind/remove the oil baffles before you put them on that is where they hit. the springs are good, if they were good before . the rev limiter is 6250 rpm it should turn up to it . how many miles on it ? is the roller rockers adjustable?

Quick Reply: getting rocker arms today.