5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hot Stang

Old 07-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Keith
1st Gear Member

Default Hot Stang

When I start my 1991 LX I'm getting white smoke from around the dash speaker on the drivers side, no warning lights and the car still runs great with no other issues. The smoke last about 30 seconds and stops. I'm thinking it could be something with the power windows, but thats just a guess. Does anyone know if there is a relay or something in that area that could be shorting out? I've had it apart and did not see any burnt wiring. I have the battery disconnected to prevent a fire, but I'm afraid to drive it until I can track down and fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

well if i were you id pull the dash and see whats melted.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

That's a strange issue.I'd check under what ever is covering it up to see if there's a pinched wire in there.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I would inspect the ignition switch , the electrical portion for melted pins at the connector
Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Keith
1st Gear Member

Would an issue with the ignition switch cause smoke between the speaker and windshield, and nothing around the steering column?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

could be the light switch or the ignition switch, your sure its not just water vapor comming out from the ac duct? What does it smell like?
Old 07-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Keith
1st Gear Member

its electical for sure. no mistaking that smell. I'm thinking its nothing to do with the engine due to the fact I'm having no other side effects. (car starts and runs great) Is there connections or relays for things like power windows in that area that maybe get connected to the main wiring harness?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

There's lots of crap in the corner of the dash, couldn't even begin to suggest just one. First thing I would do is pull out the headlight switch though, as I've had a few of them burn up on me.

Lay underneath and turn the key on while you're underneath and see if you can see where it's originating
Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I have a degree in electronics and installed audio security for a long time so you are correct, there is no mistaking that smell.

the switches in fox's are known to get hot and melt. That would be where I would start. You can pull the fuse to the headlights and parking lights to cut power to it and see if it quits smoking.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Keith
1st Gear Member

Smile

The problem is solved! After pulling the guage cluster, and all the trim. I could not see anything obvious so I started the car and still nothing happened. I then started moving wires around and bingo....the wiring harness for the window regulator saftey relay arched and a puff of white smoke. The harness was wedged between the body and the a metal support bracket for the dash and I guess over time vibration rubbed a hole through the wiring.I pulled the harness and repaired the wiring and everything is OK now...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hot Stang