5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

please help no spark ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Jason S

Default please help no spark ?

Hello to all i have a no spark problem thats driveing me crazy-my car is a 89 gt 5.0 that i haven't started in 10 years. finally decited to get her back on the road--car is in great shape- the only thing i had to do is replace the gas tank and the fuel pumps-- i run a t-rex pump on the outside--car has a paxton blower and dart heads--gt 40 intake--crane interceper2 computer add on -msd ignition.never has a problem with no spark before.when i tried starting it 4 the first time i would get a click comeing from the starter relay and no rotation from the motor so i replaced the starter relay and now the motor turnes over but no spark.next i checked the volts to the coil- both pos and neg terminals on the coil read 12v next i then checked volts with key on ignition off the pins from the plug that plugs into the tfi-#1 pin 2.52v--#2 pin12v--#3pin .44v--#4pin 12v---#5pin 12v--and #6pin 4.50v-- i then swapped out the distributer for another one--no luck--i even changed the coil and bypased the msd--still no luck--i do hear the fuel pumps come on when i put the key in the start position--the only thing i didn't change was the plug wires-- they look like their in great shape-i tryed everything that joel 5.0 stated in another post- the subject was how to solve an efi no start-- had great info and i tried all the test he said to do -the test let to the tfi and the hall sesor-thats why i swapped distributers-- but it didn't work-- If anyone has any advice it would be great i don't know where to check next--is their some ignition modual or relay i should check?

thanks Jason S
Old 07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Chris@GMS
Banned

The pumps are kicking on but are you sure you are getting pressure to the rails? did you check the plugs , if it was sitting for that long they might have rusted over. you need to check everything if the car was sitting for 10 years, there could be a clog in the fuel system or you plugs could be done. i would start there.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Jason S

Originally Posted by Chris@GMS
The pumps are kicking on but are you sure you are getting pressure to the rails? did you check the plugs , if it was sitting for that long they might have rusted over. you need to check everything if the car was sitting for 10 years, there could be a clog in the fuel system or you plugs could be done. i would start there.

Thanks 4 the reply yes i'm getting fuel i have a fuel gage hooked up and it's working--- fuel isn't my problem no spark is--- also i tested the tps sensor--it's getting 5v--with the key on ignition off---also the fuesable links about a foot away from starter relay are all good---Has anyone ever had a problem with their ignition switch? If so what kind of problem did you have that u traced it back to it ?

thanks Jason S
Old 07-28-2009, 06:20 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

pull a spark plug and ground it out to see if it sparks Then start going backwards!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Jason S

Originally Posted by calfroper_06
pull a spark plug and ground it out to see if it sparks Then start going backwards!

I tried that already---i get no spark ? One thing i checked before was 3 resisters near the front firewall. two of them were 12v and one of them had 12v before the resister towards the front of the motor and 8.5v after the resister-- is that norma ???l---the wire was green/yellow

thanks Jason S

Last edited by Jason S; 07-28-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Pull off the connector @ the coil and see if it has power, forget which wire should have power, there's only 2 wires though. Key-on of course
Old 07-29-2009, 07:06 AM
Jason S

BUMP----anyone?

thanks Jason S
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Jason S

Bump---anyone

Thanks Jason S
Old 07-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

How to solve an EFI No Start.... LUK
Old 07-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Jason S

after messing with the car some more i noticed when i turn the distributer right to left to right i don't get any cycling from the pumps ... i have another mustang wich i tried the same right to left and cars pumps cycled and i got a little shock----- so what does it mean when i turn the distributer and i get no cycling--- so far i replaced coil..starter solinoid....tfi modual... and the ignition swich.........????

Thanks Jason S

Quick Reply: please help no spark ?