MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   T-5 Problems (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/553935-t-5-problems.html)

Genhero 07-31-2009 06:41 PM

T-5 Problems

This is the first standard car that Ive owned so Id like a 2nd opinion. When driving at slow speeds(5-10), like in a parking lot with speed bumps. The car slows down very fast, like if the e-brake was stuck. There is also a metal on metal noise on cold starts, rolling thru parking lots, that I'm guessing is the TOB but would it make the car slow down like that if it was damaged enough? Also there is a vibration under the floor pan towards the trans tunnel(again only when going slow enough in 1st gear).

Also Im going to order a new clutch kit with TOB(to see if it helps or if its rebuild time) but what makes a clutch roll the car forward, without pressing the gas, if the clutch pedal is let out slow enough? My car is stock right now so Ill be getting a cheap clutch because this being my first standard car Ill probably burn it out pretty fast. April Ill be putting in a SC so Ill put in a better one(DFX) than. I was thinking a spec stage I.

mjr46 07-31-2009 08:20 PM

the flywheel is spinning constantly with the clutch bolted to it when you press the clutch in the clutch fork which the tob is attached to slides forward on the input retainer and up against the pressure plate fingers that when pushed forward enough lift the pressure plate clamping force off the clutch disk and hence to power/rotatioal force can be transfered to the input shaft on the tranny which the clutch disc slides on to so at that point the car stops rolling, once you let the clutch pedal back out the plate clamps back down on the disc and the car starts to roll, no accelerator action is needed, however if you don't push on the accel pedal soon enough the car may stall out..........either way a new clutch based on the description of your prob most likely won't fix the issue at hand, first I'd inspect the u-joints for play

Genhero 07-31-2009 08:31 PM

U-joints are also on my list to check tomorrow. I was gonna replace them when drop the driveshaft for the clutch. Either way it definitely needs a new clutch, this one is pretty beat and the TOB squeaks pretty loud.

I bought this car about 2 weeks ago for dirt cheap but someone beat the hell out of it and got in a wreck. There is a random screw blocking a hole in the intake and judging by the rough drilled out holes in the trunk Im guessing he ran nitrous on the car and then sold it.

Ive been trying to slowly look over everything, Ill check the u-joints tomorrow and post what I find.

mjr46 07-31-2009 09:18 PM

good luck and have fun:)

Genhero 08-10-2009 09:44 PM

Thanks mjr, you pointed me very close to the issue. When I was removing the driveshaft I saw the issue while trying to turn the DS. The muffler is dragging against it. I swapped both U-Joints anyways because the one at the differential was pretty bad. I tied using a bottle jack to lift the muffler and bend the hanger but it wasn't enough, I guess ill just bring it to an exhaust shop and have them bend or cut/weld it further away for me. I need tips welded anyways, the PO had it dumping before the axle... and let it drag against the DS apparently. Thanks again.

mjr46 08-10-2009 10:19 PM

put some tail pipes on it, I had dumps on my vert and it was way to noisey, so on go the tail pipes...that is when the motor is back in it..lol, anyway glad to hear your solving the issues:)

Genhero 08-10-2009 10:35 PM

I agree, it is way to noisy and rumbles the interior a bit too. Hard for the inspector to run the sniffer with no tailpipes either, lol.

Genhero 08-11-2009 10:31 PM

Found a pry bar and moved the muffler off of the driveshaft, it is doing the same thing. The shifter shakes pretty bad in 1st and when sitting at a light it squeeks in neutral unless I press in the clutch about half an inch. Im guessing the squeek is the throw out bearing but I don't know what would make that grinding and slow me down in 1st/2nd.

Also I forgot to write in the first post 2nd gear sometimes pops out while coasting, could this and the noise be synchros?

Also I think I worded a question in my first post a little weird. What makes certain clutches allow the car to roll if the pedal is eased out slowly without having to press the gas at all and not stall. Not the physical engagement with the pressure plate but how can I found out what clutches are too grabby and make the car stall unless a lot of gas is given.

Also come to think of it, sometimes the dog teeth grind a bit when I try to put it in reverse from a stop. Does reverse have a synchro on the T-5s or could it be clutch drag?

Edit for better example: In stop and go traffic when driving my friends car, I only have to let off the clutch pedal very slowly and it will roll forward even on a flat surface. Ive been trying to find it in other posts with no luck.