5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cable route any tips: Battery Relocation to trunk

Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Sportmarty
1st Gear Member

Exclamation Cable route any tips: Battery Relocation to trunk

I am looking to run the 1 gauge cable though the interior of the coupe rather than underneath, just wondering if you may have any experience with this as far as route or hiding/ tucking the cable. Any installation photos would be great.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I ran mine along side the rocker panel inside the car, worked great
Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

yeah I ran mine there too right along the factory light harness
Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sportmarty
I am looking to run the 1 gauge cable though the interior of the coupe rather than underneath, just wondering if you may have any experience with this as far as route or hiding/ tucking the cable. Any installation photos would be great.
As a heads up, NHRA frowns upon, not against the rules yet to my knowledge, running the battery cable through the interior of a vehicle, it's a fire hazard. Cable shorts out, carpet can catch fire. If it shorts out outside the body, even if it were to start something flammable some-how, the fire is outside the vehicle. I, personally, would strongly suggest against running a cable through the interior of any vehicle.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

i ran mine right up against my sub frame connectors and used wire ties and the rubber wire isolators with self tapping screws to secure it
Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Liquid_02
As a heads up, NHRA frowns upon, not against the rules yet to my knowledge, running the battery cable through the interior of a vehicle, it's a fire hazard. Cable shorts out, carpet can catch fire. If it shorts out outside the body, even if it were to start something flammable some-how, the fire is outside the vehicle. I, personally, would strongly suggest against running a cable through the interior of any vehicle.

As for inside vs outside. Outside is also in danger, if not more. Think about floor jacks, tow trucks, axle stands, collisions etc. That's why I wired up mine so the big wire is dead until cranking.

All explained here. https://mustangforums.com/forum/must...iring-vid.html
Old 08-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram
As for inside vs outside. Outside is also in danger, if not more. Think about floor jacks, tow trucks, axle stands, collisions etc. That's why I wired up mine so the big wire is dead until cranking.

All explained here. https://mustangforums.com/forum/must...iring-vid.html
Not even close. You just don't jack it on the big red cable. That's not hard to do. In a collision I'd MUCH rather have it outside than inside the vehicle, what does it matter whether it's in or out for a collision? Body's going to crumple on both sides, and if it crumples and pierces the wire on the inside, now you can quite quickly go up in flames from the carpet, plastics, and all the other flammable components in the vehicle. Where if it's outside, you're just going to have a nice hot patch on the floor and a few burnt wires. Honestly IMO, that's just complicating something that should be simple... Nice to have an all, but unnecessary.

Heads up, you can't have the alternator hooked up to the battery either... It has to be switched as well. Absolutely everything has to be switched, hense why it's called that "Master cut-off", yours is not cutting of all electrical power to your vehicle. You get a tech dork and he'll tear you down for that. If your switch is legal it should have 3 or 4 posts on it, 1 for starter/other electrical, 1 for alternator, 1 for battery, and 1 spare/magneto, which I generally use as a second alternator wire.

Last edited by Liquid_02; 08-03-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

I saw a battery from a Vega at the dragstrip explode. The owner used a floor jack, pinched the wire (obviously by accident, which I'm sure will never happen to you) and shorted his battery.

If you are trying to debate inside vs outside. You have some valid points. If the car is all crumpled, it's anyones game. Is it more protected inside WITH THE factory wiring, hell ya.

Either way I'm not debating on having a big live battery wire anyways. If you paid ANY attention to my video. My battery wire is dead at all times except during cranking.
My power wire is protected by a fuseable link.

Lastly, the alternator wire goes to the battery. On my set up and Fords.
It can not go to after the switch or else the engine will stay running when it's flipped to off.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

You forgot to tell us all you were an engineer. Because wow, you've got a lot of engineers to convince that developed the Hybrid & Electric vehicles, as power for them is run along the under-carriage. Good luck with that. They do that for the same reason you shouldn't be running the power cable through the interior of a vehicle, it's dangerous. On top of it all, why if it's "safer" to run something through the inside of a vehicle, why not just run the fuel lines through it too while you're at it? They're sturdier than any electrical cable, they should be alright, right?

Also, I don't know what kind of mystical vehicle you have, but every single vehicle ever made, other than a diesel engine, will die without power. If you disconnect the battery, take a pair of cable cutters and cut the alt cable, what do you think happens? Just keeps detonating to keep it running? (I guess the K-Cycle engine may still run as well... as long as it's hot).

Apparently all my years of being an AST have been a waste... Better go back to school.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Liquid_02
yeah....I've heard that exact explanation before, IMO PURE HOG WASH.....cause when it shorts against the frame other stuff in the car most likely could short and catch fire to.....guess BMW AND mercedes oughta remove their batterys from the trunks, cause you know where the cables run?? not outside the car....also under the car gives road debris something to grab and rodants to chew on, either way inside or outside Imo there are pros and cons to both, this is an opinion argument and only partially factual in reference to NHRA rules until they make it a rule as you state

Last edited by mjr46; 08-05-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cable route any tips: Battery Relocation to trunk