5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

manual trans/shifter Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 10:48 PM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

Default manual trans/shifter Q's

my 88 (5 spd) has an aftermarket shifter in it, not sure what kind.

i've been thinking the clutch needs adjusted, but i'm not too sure. my tranny ALWAYS grinds HAAARD into reverse. i'm at a deadstop and i let out and press the clutch in many times while it still grinds into gear. i know reverse isn't synchronized in the t5, but DAMN. i also have to double clutch into 5th gear for some reason. my 87 always ground into 5th gear also. that just a t5 thing?

ok, back to the shifter -- i pulled the boot up and the rubber grommet and plate. there are 2 stop screws on the front and back of a bracket that the shifter lever is (correct me if i'm wrong) supposed to HIT, right?? well my shifter comes damn close but doesn't quite touch these bolts. do i need to adjust those in a little bit? while i have the tranny in gear goin down the road, there's some play in the shifter (forward and back) like its not locked. i thought this may be normal, but i'm unsure. kinda new to tranny's.

i think that's it. if ya need clarification on anything, please lemme know. i want to shift smoooothly. thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 12:03 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: manual trans/shifter Q's

My tranny does this too,but i found a temporary solution for this,when i want to go to reverse i always push the clutch in and go to 2nd then 5th and quickly put it in reverse,works every time and as for the shift stops they should just barley touch when the shifter is pulled ALL the way into gear.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:59 AM
settled4automatic
3rd Gear Member

ok, cool, i'll try that tomorrow

now as far as the clutch feel... i've learned that you can't adjust the stock clutch. do i just need a firewall ajduster to be able to adjust it? or do i need the quadrant also? (if that's not another term for the firewall adjuster). or a clutch other than stock replacement? i want to adjust this ****.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:34 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

sounds like a bad tranny, but to stop some grinding try going to 5th before reverse.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:47 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

you can adjust the clutch sorta push pedal to the floor let it come back up then take the top of your foot and put it under the pedal and pull up does this 2-3 times this will help a touch as far as for reverse let up s;ightly on the clutch to then put in rev.