5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what electric fan setup for my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 AM
cottoncandymustang
1st Gear Member

im not being mean at all about it i just wanna know lol to be honest ive never herd of it thats why i want his facts about it so then i know i might just research it myself if he doesnt answer im pretty interested in that now cause i can see kinda... not really with new cars with the electric fans when they kick on you can feel a lil hesitation on the motor but... thats just very few like mustangs ive really never herd of it especially on a 5.0
Old 08-04-2009, 12:35 AM
r1sky5.0
2nd Gear Member

Ey domindart I was wondering if you do decide to get these electric fans how much would you sell me you stock fan shroud for? Let me know!!
Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cottoncandymustang
im not being mean at all about it i just wanna know lol to be honest ive never herd of it thats why i want his facts about it so then i know i might just research it myself if he doesnt answer im pretty interested in that now cause i can see kinda... not really with new cars with the electric fans when they kick on you can feel a lil hesitation on the motor but... thats just very few like mustangs ive really never herd of it especially on a 5.0
I do lots of research before I do anything to my car. Lots of the energy loss is due to heat, think of it as your computer you're working on, look how in-efficient that is. All the heat generated is a waste product, inefficiency, you know how hot your alternator gets if you've ever touched it after shutting down your engine. There's more inefficiency right there, lost energy through the process of creating electricity. Fans create heat, once again, inefficient. Not to mention the loss just from the motor not being 100% efficient, as there is no such thing yet. For example I believe the Mark VII Fan people use on their foxes, if I remember correctly is 65% efficient. What this means is 35% of the power is lost through this conversion, where-as a clutch fan is 100% efficient.

I can't seem to find any links or anything, but just do a quick search and you'll find all sorts of data on converting one energy to another. The sole advantage to an electric fan is the ability to shut it off.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 AM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you know what your talkin about liquid.

r1sky- I may be able to do that for ya, but lemme get this situated first, I dont know what Im doing LOL
Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Another perk to a fan is being able to shut the car off and still have the fan cool it.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 AM
84conversion50
2nd Gear Member

if your alternator has to work that hard to the point where its harder on the engine than you clutch fan was. SOMETHINGS WRONG.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 AM
smacked1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 84conversion50
if your alternator has to work that hard to the point where its harder on the engine than you clutch fan was. SOMETHINGS WRONG.
i feel the same
Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 AM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Liquid_02
Not entirely true... Only when the fans are off are they more efficient, when the fans are running, they actually draw more power from the engine than the clutch fan would due to the inefficiency of converting energy, twice. From mechanical to electrical (engine to Alternator) then electrical back to mechanical (Battery to Fan), you lose, I believe if I remember correctly, 20% efficiency whenever you convert energy, so that's about a 30ish% efficiency loss.
Listen to this guy he knows his stuff. If you can find a way to make the stock fan shroud work on the new radiator use it along with the stock 9 blade fan, and then get a real DSO fan clutch.

If you ever get a blower for the car it'll run at 215 with the Proform.Trust me there are 3 guy with foxes over this way that all had the same issue.

They converted back to the stock setup with that DSO Police issue fan clutch and they all run cool as a cucumber now.

That stock brass radiator WILL COOL a 450hp car with this setup.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 AM
r1sky5.0
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a Plan domidart! Let me know when you get it all together! Have you relocated your power steering pump yet?
Old 08-04-2009, 04:51 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

No, r1sky, I need money LOL.

Quick Reply: what electric fan setup for my car