5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Couple Questions I couldn't solve with Search..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:58 PM
1FastFoxBody

Default Couple Questions I couldn't solve with Search..

Okay, I got a 1988 GT 5Spd

First and foremost, I came from the "fast and furious" world having a Honda Del sol and decided to step up to a "mans" ride... (No offense to women mustang drivers, just a figure of speech.. If you drive a mustang your automatically hot as hell!!)

I want to replace my shifter and clutch but I have a few questions...

I am assuming this is cable driven and not hydraulic so right off the bat I am in luck.. I hated the fact that the Del Sol felt like a marshmallow clutch... I want serious resistance when I shift.. A real HEAVY clutch pedal..

From Search I have found that many people endorse SPEC clutches and Steeda Cable Kits... I don't plan on racing this car so I am assuming I don't need anything over Stage 1 for a clutch kit...

Should I replace the flywheel at the same time as the clutch kit since I don't know much about the person who owned the car before me. Ergo, I don't know how they drove it..

Is there any cable kit better then another for FIRMING the pedal??

Lastly I was thinking about getting a Hurst Shifter kit, but how in the *#&! do you figure out which tranny you have... I see kits for a T-5 and a T-45 are they interchangeable or is there a sure tell??

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-12-2009, 01:44 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

Pedal effort really isn't a matter of the clutch cable, more of the pressure plate in the clutch itself. The cable has to do more with where the pedal is at when the clutch engages/disengages; ie pedal to the floor or with your foot barely on it. Most aftermarket clutches hold better than stock and therefore make a pedal that requires a little more effort. Just take your flywheel in to be checked and resurfaced. The machine shop guy will tell you if you need a new one.
Welcome to the world of Mustangs.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:06 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I am calling bs on that. A hydraulic clutch is going to be smoother than a cable.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

A stiff clutch pedal = something is not correctly installed/working properly. Pressure plate will not affect it that much. A centerforce dual friction clutch is just as easy to press as my heavy duty OEM clutch. You are chasing after something that is completely pointless and detrimental to driving.

The t-5 and t-45 shifter is interchangeable. You should at least have your flywheel machined if not replaced, you don't know if it has warped due to irresponsible driving.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

TrimDrip, he wants something more HARSH than a hydraulic civic clutch...
Old 08-12-2009, 02:32 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the upgrade from the Del Slow...welcome to a real car!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:44 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I understand that. I was referring to the post above mine that claimed a clutch cable is going to be the same as a hydraulic setup.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:07 PM
mongolchuck
2nd Gear Member

What i meant is that changing a clutch cable to an aftermarket one isn't going to stiffen pedal effort much at all. If anything it will make it smoother as it will move more free. And your right Tony, there isn't a whole lot of difference between aftermarket and stock. Having to put a ton of pressure on your clutch to shift will wear you out quick. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
1FastFoxBody

Woah woah... Wasn't looking to start a fight or anything...

My dad had a 69 Camaro SS and the clutch setup he had needed almost 2 feet to push it!!! And there was NOTHING wrong with how it was installed. It just simply was a firm pedal..

The del sol had a Stage 3 ACT Clutch and Pressure plate, lightened Fidannza flywheel and the pedal STILL felt like I was stepping on a cloud...

I want to "feel" the pedal, that's all...

The cable, changes where the pedal and clutch engage you say??? I would like the clutch to disengage/engage maybe a little "lower" then mid-way... Not where you have to scrape the back of the pedal on the asphalt but at the same time not a half inch from where the pedal rests normally.. .the Del Slow was like that.. I swear I could have farted on the pedal and it would have moved enough to shift with out a grind... So perhaps a cable kit would serve me well along with a new clutch kit...

As for the shifter, i will go ahead and get the Hurst shifter I been eying in the Jegs catalog.. I don't need to wait to do the clutch and cable kits to change that.. Thanks for the tip on that!!!!

(as an update I took the car to the Ford Dealership and they told me I have a T-5 transmission)
Old 08-12-2009, 03:26 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I can see where I jumped the gun on that one. You have to excuse me sometimes.

my car has a stock clutch and I get tired of holding it. I think any clutch you put in a mustang, you will be happy with. Even an OEM.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 08-12-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Couple Questions I couldn't solve with Search..