5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

best power adder

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:10 PM
95stang gt
2nd Gear Member

thats my exact problem. i dont have alot of money. thats why i was leaning towards n2o. cheap kit and not always on. only when u turn it on. lol any more opinions?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

people say that with the right tune. They also tell you that you are crazy to put n20 (got it right that time) on a motor with cast pistons.

I think it can be done but, I am not putting a 150 shot on my motor.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

If I was you Id do a supercharger kit, sure its more money but the performance gain is all the time, not just occasional.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:00 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

turbo hands down. more efficient then a sc and no bottle to fill. wont effect gas milage like a sc because they dont add drag to the motor.

turbo lag is found in 4 bangers mostly where the motor doesnt make enough power to spool the turbo till high rpms. with my motor, if i stab the gas there is a half second pause and then instantaneously the boost gauge pegs 8psi and the car feels like it just got a 200hp spike in power. a centrifical blower will start making boost at 3000, im at full boost by 3000
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Genhero
1st Gear Member

Depends on what you prefer, like someone else said refilling bottles adds up but if it is a DD and you don't want to be driving around everyday with all of that power then nitrous might be worth a look.

I prefer turbos but unless you can weld, can find a used kit cheap or have the money to drop on a new kit it is usually easier to just find another route. Plus all the time setting everything up can take awhile so if you can't have your car down for longer than a weekend, Id look elsewhere.

Superchargers are pretty cheap if you buy a used head unit and are relatively easy to install. Won't take very long either but like turbo there is no off. If you don't mind driving around with F/I all the time this is the route I would go. Another member posted a great thread on getting the parts for a SC pretty cheap, when I get everything tightened up on my 95 Ill definitely be going with a SC.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by 19stang88
Superchargers! and not a turbo because of turbo lag
At least know what you are talking about if you are going to post. A properly sized turbo setup will have almost no lag. A centri blower (like my Vortech) will not make full boost until 6000 rpm, a turbo will be at full boost MUCH lower in the RPM range.

OP, it really depends on what you want out of the car. turbos and blowers are nice because the power is there all the time and you never have to refill the bottle. N2O is nice because you get a HUGE torque spike and it is pretty cheap. With any set up, the tune is key. To do it over I would do a turbo, the are more complicated and do cost more, but they make better power and torque. More info on what your goals would help.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

A turbo car is not going to have a 60 foot like a whipple charged big block. There is some lag as far as when thses cars start to make power on the track.

I watched this race last weekend. All of the true 10.5 cars ran turbo. Except the procharged car that won it. He didn't have the fastest time by a couple of tenths but, got his car right for the final and got a little lucky.

Turbo seems to be the way to go because of not blowing the tires off from the the line in the 10.5 cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1TC5GuUv9g
Old 08-13-2009, 10:14 AM
scatfox331
1st Gear Member

I DONT LIKE NITRUOS BECAUSE THE POWER ISNT ALWAYS THERE. AND USUALLY ITS PRETTY HARD ON A MOTOR THAT WASNT BUILT FOR IT. I WOULD GO FORCED INDUCTION BUT ON THE SAME HAND U CANT RUN A TON OF BOOST ON CAST PISTONS AND CAST INTERNALS. I PREFER S/C BECAUSE U GET A NICE WIDE FLAT TORQUE AND POWER BAND AND IT SIMPLER AND EASIER TO WORK ON THE MOTOR WHEN ITS INSTALLED. WHERE AS A TURBO SOMETIMES CAN BE LIKE DRIVING A LIGHT SWITCH WHERE THE POWER IS REAL PEAKY BUT THAT ALSO DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF THE TURBO.ASLO A TURBO IS PROBLY GUNNA COST U MORE AND U HAVE TO DEAL WITH ALL THE PIPNG AND CRAP. IT DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF THE TURBO AND WAT TURBO IT IS FOR HOW MUCH LAG U WILL GET.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

why does everyone keep saying that nitrous is better because they power isnt always there? the power is only there when you floor it. a turbo or sc doesnt make boost all the time, only when your under wot or heavy load.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jArqhYnN7to
you right, turbos are slow off the line. nothing like a slow car that can hold the front wheels off the ground halfway down the track
Old 08-13-2009, 11:10 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by scatfox331
I DONT LIKE NITRUOS BECAUSE THE POWER ISNT ALWAYS THERE. AND USUALLY ITS PRETTY HARD ON A MOTOR THAT WASNT BUILT FOR IT. I WOULD GO FORCED INDUCTION BUT ON THE SAME HAND U CANT RUN A TON OF BOOST ON CAST PISTONS AND CAST INTERNALS. I PREFER S/C BECAUSE U GET A NICE WIDE FLAT TORQUE AND POWER BAND AND IT SIMPLER AND EASIER TO WORK ON THE MOTOR WHEN ITS INSTALLED. WHERE AS A TURBO SOMETIMES CAN BE LIKE DRIVING A LIGHT SWITCH WHERE THE POWER IS REAL PEAKY BUT THAT ALSO DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF THE TURBO.ASLO A TURBO IS PROBLY GUNNA COST U MORE AND U HAVE TO DEAL WITH ALL THE PIPNG AND CRAP. IT DEPENDS ON THE SIZE OF THE TURBO AND WAT TURBO IT IS FOR HOW MUCH LAG U WILL GET.
Dude, come on. Do you really think anyone can read that mess you typed? Try not using all caps and maybe lay off the text lingo a bit. It really is hard to read.

Quick Reply: best power adder