5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Attempting Diagnosis on Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Witzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
I had a similar shifting issue in my car, after I put it on the lift at work I found my culprit. I have an aftermarket quadrant with a stock cable, and the cable itself had about an inch of extra slack to it, at the fork. So as a quick fix, i pulled the cable tight so there was no slack, but made sure that it wasn't too tight, and hoseclamped that bitch in place. Problem solved, until i buy a new adjustable cable.
Get this.

Remember I said the shifting issue came, then it left, then came back again?

Well the day it the problem left, earlier that day I was messing with the quadrant since my clutch is really hard to depress and topped off my tranny fluid. About 5 miles later when I put it in reverse and made that terrible sound, that's when it all went back together and shifted fine. Then I took her on the freeway a month later and the issue came back... *scratches head* Maybe I am low on tranny fluid... I will see tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If it's all your gears doing that then I stand by my original comment. Syncro gears.

My 00 used to do it only going into reverse and ocassionaly when going into fifth. The way I got around the rear gear was I'd put into 1st or 2nd to begin with then into reverse. Worked 90% of the time. For 5th I would have to go from 4th, to neutral, a quick left/right of the stick then into 5th.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Witzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
If it's all your gears doing that then I stand by my original comment. Syncro gears.

My 00 used to do it only going into reverse and ocassionaly when going into fifth. The way I got around the rear gear was I'd put into 1st or 2nd to begin with then into reverse. Worked 90% of the time. For 5th I would have to go from 4th, to neutral, a quick left/right of the stick then into 5th.
Wait, so your telling me you think that all 5 gears in my tranny have shot syncros? From what I know sycros can't be good then stop working then work again? Am I wrong?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

You say the car shudders immediately after you get it in reverse?

This is a perfect sign that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. The car itself should have absolutely no physical symptoms of tranny issues if the clutch isn't engaged.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Witzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
You say the car shudders immediately after you get it in reverse?

This is a perfect sign that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. The car itself should have absolutely no physical symptoms of tranny issues if the clutch isn't engaged.
See that's what I thought. So my conclusion is the cable could be shot and not moving properly. It gets even harder to shift once the car gets hot, like the damn headers are cooking the cable.

But shudder, how should I best explain this.

Car turns on, shift into reverse, CLUNK, grinding noise, and when that happens feels almost like someone just hit the car.

The grinding made me think, it's not fully engaging and the cable is messed up...
Old 08-16-2009, 01:41 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Like all mechanical parts they have clearances. The problem should either exist or not exist, not be intermitent, I agree. My reverse issue never went away but the 5th gear issue did after a few months. Never came back.

Is it possible all the gears are out? Yes, is it possible...is it likely? not really.
Get the car up in the air an remove the clutch fork inspection plate on the tranny. It's that wedge shaped steel cover towards the drivers side where the cable goes into the tranny. Under the plate is where the cable connects to the fork. Ideally you should have someone in the car pressing and depressing the clutch and shifting through the gears.

Check there first for anything that doesn't look right. Also check that you have only a certain amount of deadspace in the clutch pedal. Deadspace is that travel where the fork doesn't move eventhough the pedal does. I'm not familiar with the 5.0 and my old 00 was an oddity in that the pedal had an extrodinarily large dead space that was fixed in 01 and up so I can't recommend that as a reference.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Witzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Like all mechanical parts they have clearances. The problem should either exist or not exist, not be intermitent, I agree. My reverse issue never went away but the 5th gear issue did after a few months. Never came back.

Is it possible all the gears are out? Yes, is it possible...is it likely? not really.
Get the car up in the air an remove the clutch fork inspection plate on the tranny. It's that wedge shaped steel cover towards the drivers side where the cable goes into the tranny. Under the plate is where the cable connects to the fork. Ideally you should have someone in the car pressing and depressing the clutch and shifting through the gears.

Check there first for anything that doesn't look right. Also check that you have only a certain amount of deadspace in the clutch pedal. Deadspace is that travel where the fork doesn't move eventhough the pedal does. I'm not familiar with the 5.0 and my old 00 was an oddity in that the pedal had an extrodinarily large dead space that was fixed in 01 and up so I can't recommend that as a reference.
Ok, well with your advice taken when I will replace cable I'll get under and take a look at the fork, thanks!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:49 PM
89gtwith3.55s
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Witzy
That's odd, the bearing came with my clutch kit and was replaced. But your answer really only leaves that being the option... Will a faulty bearing effect shifting?

EDIT

From what I know the throw out bearing makes a noise when the clutch it depressed, in my case it only makes noise when no depressed at all? Would a pilot bearing be possible?
I needed my throw out bearing replaced.. it only made that noise when my foot was off the clutch same as you.. if i pushed on it a little but not enough to engage the clutch it went away
Old 08-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Everything points to the clutch not fully disengaging.

1. That chirping sound is probably the throwout bearing grazing the pressure plate fingers. The slightest pressure on the pedal makes it go away, that's because it's not grazing but now running with the fingers. Now that they are going the same speed, no noise.
Tightening the cable would solve this.

2. Hard to engage a forward gear. Again clutch not disengaged so the synchro are forced to try to stop the clutch disc, which is being dragged by the pressure plate. Another sign of too loose of a cable. Could also be a bad pilot bearing, broken pressure plate or frozen disc/input shaft splines.

3. Your 95 has a brake on reverse. Similar to a synchro on any forward gear. On a older car, this will grind but your brake is fighting the spinning disc to try to stop. Just like 2.