5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cold idle surge, gone when @ operating temp

Old 08-15-2009, 11:24 PM
nova72sc

Default Cold idle surge, gone when @ operating temp

Hi,
I am a new member and a new mustang owner. I have a 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 manual trans with 136xxx miles. mods are : computer chip, short throw shifter, 160 thermostat, electric fan, full length headers, straight pipes, no cats, 70mm throttle body and egr spacer, summit racing CDI ignition, believe it has a larger MAF but not positive, k&n cone filter, under drive pullies, no smog pump. Problem is when cold start my idle surges to about 1400 down to damn near 300 and will stall if i dont feather the throttle, and when i start to drive it will "pop" through the intake if i try to accelerate hard, problem is not there when its warm. Here is what i have done so far: searched forums, changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, spread terminals on "salt and pepper" connectors, cleaned IAC, cleaned MAF, adjusted TPS voltage, set timing to 12*, set base idle to 750, cleaned egr valve and passages, could not find vac leaks, replaced ECT sensor, coolant is full. no codes, am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out, please help!! thanks alot in advance!!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Chances are, it could be the aftermarket MAF. Many times these companies cannot accurately calibrate their MAFs to the stock calibration. Don't know why. This can cause all sorts of issues. If you have the stock one, try swapping it out and see if that does anything.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:25 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

my car does it aswell.i have no clue what it is either so i just deal with it.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

IAC is the main culprit here. Cleaning it doesn't always work.

2 tips for ya.
#1 Scrap that 160 thermo and get a 185. Not allowing a computer controlled engine to reach its programmed operating temperature is bad for performance & gas milage.
#2 Yank that chip out. Any kind of chip that comes in a box in the mail is worthless and is probably harming your performance. Get a professional dyno tune/custom chip when you have enough mods to warrant such an expense.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nova72sc
Hi,
I am a new member and a new mustang owner. I have a 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 manual trans with 136xxx miles. mods are : computer chip, short throw shifter, 160 thermostat, electric fan, full length headers, straight pipes, no cats, 70mm throttle body and egr spacer, summit racing CDI ignition, believe it has a larger MAF but not positive, k&n cone filter, under drive pullies, no smog pump. Problem is when cold start my idle surges to about 1400 down to damn near 300 and will stall if i dont feather the throttle, and when i start to drive it will "pop" through the intake if i try to accelerate hard, problem is not there when its warm. Here is what i have done so far: searched forums, changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, spread terminals on "salt and pepper" connectors, cleaned IAC, cleaned MAF, adjusted TPS voltage, set timing to 12*, set base idle to 750, cleaned egr valve and passages, could not find vac leaks, replaced ECT sensor, coolant is full. no codes, am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out, please help!! thanks alot in advance!!
No codes as in none whatsoever?
Old 08-16-2009, 11:32 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

koeo/koer can be your friend
Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 PM
rdavin622
1st Gear Member

my car does the same thing. I have spent over a grand trying to fix it and still cant find the problem. It makes the car unreliable too it sucks. I feel your pain
Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
koeo/koer can be your friend
That and a WB Surging at idle is due to the engine running rich. For $200 I will never run a car without one again. I bet you put a WB in and your A/F will be bouncing from about 12.5 when stalling, to about 16 when it picks back up. I can almost guarantee it's due to your chip.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
nova72sc

ill take the chip out and see what happens, set timing back to 10*, and placed a restrictor in front of the throttle body and it seems to idle much better, real test will be tomorrow when i due a true cold start, thanks for the input. im going to leave the chip in for this just to see if the restricion fixes it, but shouldnt the ECM have the abbilitys to monitor the increased air flow over the maf, therefore increasing fuel to keep the AF within the ECM's wanted parameters? thanks for all the input
Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 PM
nova72sc

ok, i heres what my dad found, he performed a compression test, all cylinders are 148-152 psi, set timing back to 10*, plugs are a little light colored (white), made sure the rotor turns as soon as you move the crankshaft, set plug gap to .035, placed a restriction in the intake and it seems to run alot better, true test will be in the morning when it is really a cold start, i am going to take the chip out but i want to see if the larger throttle body is the problem. but wouldnt the ECM have the ability to see the increased air volume moving over the maf and then increase the duty cycle of the injectors to increase fuel to keep the AF within its wanted parameters? but again iether way takin the chip out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold idle surge, gone when @ operating temp