5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

starting very hard, cannot find problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 AM
rdavin622
1st Gear Member

Default starting very hard, cannot find problem

I have a 1995 mustang gt-s that I have been having issues starting and idling when cold. I have replaced everything I can think of. New battery, alternator, new plugs, 8mm wires, msd distributor, msd coil, mass airflow sensor, idle control sensor, fuel pressure regualtor, fuel filter, fuel pump. The starter and the o2 sensors test great, fuel pressure is great. The timing is right on. The car cranks very very hard and when it does start if you even touch the throttle the motor shakes and sputters and will sometimes die on me and will do this for about 5-7 minutes until at running temp. The motor has 70k miles and never skips a beat as soon as the car is at running temperature. There are no idiot lights on and I cannot pull a code. I have had a mechanic of 20 years experience try to figure out the problem and he said he has never had this issue before. Any ideas what could be going on guys??? Im losing sleep at night
Old 08-16-2009, 02:02 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Any kind of internal noises in the engine that shouldn't be there?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:53 PM
rdavin622
1st Gear Member

Theres no internal noises that i can hear. The car runs strong with no problems at running temp. Could it be a cam problem or a computer failure?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:34 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Based on what you first posted, you're saying the engine itself struggles to crank over, right? Very slowly, as if the battery was klunking out?

This is gonna be hard to get an accurate diagnosis of, online. You could be having valvetrain problems causing your compression to skyrocket, you could have an insane amount of sludged up oil in the rotating assembly causing a slow crank. So many options, none of them are typical either.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:48 PM
rdavin622
1st Gear Member

god i hope its not a valvetrain problem. I installed a complete MSD igntion kit specifically for the 94-95 5.0 and the problem surfaced soon after. The kit included a pro billet distributor, 8mm wires and an msd coil... I have uninstalled everything and reinstalled it again and also timed the car once again. Could that be the issue possibly??? Maybe a computer issue of some sort? I will put the factory stuff back on and give that a try I guess
Old 08-16-2009, 04:27 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yank that distributor out and take a look at the gear. ignition timing/computer wouldn't have anything to do with a crawling crank, but a distributor with the wrong size gear could be binding the cam a bit, maybe a snapped tooth binding somewhere, something like that.

again, all just guesses at this point.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:44 PM
rdavin622
1st Gear Member

When I turn the key it isnt a slow turn over at all, It just wont start . It feels like trying to start a car with an empty gas tank basically, and then it will just fire up after 10-12 seconds. I pulled the msd stuff and its all perfect. And it was the kit made specifically for the 94-95 so I dont think it has the wrong gear. Any sensors I should be looking at?
Old 08-16-2009, 05:48 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Explain yourself, 1 more time. your first post says cranking very very hard.
Cranking is the act of the started being engaged with the flywheel.
Now you're saying the cranking is fine, but it takes 10 seconds to start.

Make up your mind.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:53 PM
dirtjumper250

When I installed my msd stuff the car would not hardly run. I installed 6al and distrubuter. come to find out that it was way to lean. i had to turn my fuel presure up about 10 psi
Old 08-16-2009, 07:17 PM
rdavin622
1st Gear Member

Its hard to explain what I mean through a key board my appoligies. It doesnt feel like a slow (battery is dead sound) type of crank over. The car sounds like its going to start and just takes forever and runs horribly after it does for 5 or more minutes.

Quick Reply: starting very hard, cannot find problem