5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.
View Poll Results: In your opinion whats best?
Ford Racing
4.55%
Trickflow
50.00%
AFR
36.36%
Ford
0%
Dart
4.55%
Edelbrock
0%
Holley
4.55%
Other
4.55%
Fuel Injected
9.09%
Carb
13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

heads???? AFR, DART, trickflow, edelbrock, holley... whats best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I really don't know the answer to that.

Back in the late months of 2003 and early months of 2004 MM&FF ran eight issues of cylinder head test on 4 different classes. One week they would put the heads on the flowbench, the next they would stick them on a motor. I bought every issue and gave most of them away to people making the decisions on which heads to buy.

If you do a search on the net for MM&FF Ultimate Cylinder Head Test, you may get lucky and find the article. Lots of info on heads on the market.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:42 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
Here is a place about an hour from here that claims they have the best flowing head for a small block

http://bennettracing.com/Engine%20Pa...%20CANTED.html
funny you would say that side i visited the same site no less then an hour ago how ever a 227cc set of heads from bennett raceing is $2695.00 at its cheapest and a set of AFR's are only $2,016.99 is the extra $600 worth it in your mind couse you and i both know when upgrading $600 here and $150 there turns into $2000 real quick what do you think?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:42 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpkins_44
thanks for the post and your opinions and i am personaly interested with the work done to your car.i would also like to know how much you would pay for a set of good heads and what cam would you use. hope to here more from you. thanks for the post.
I paid 1350$ for a set of stock high ports, this year I dumped another 600$ into port work and upgraded valvetrain. The cam is a custom design from Jay Allen 623/605..231/241, idles nice and clean doesnt surge or die at stoplights. Please do some more research and you'll see that TF makes a superior head to AFR for near the same cost.

Last edited by primetime5.0; 08-19-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

I really don't like to toot my own horn, but in case you think i'm bluffing you

Old 08-19-2009, 12:47 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

Back in the late months of 2003 and early months of 2004 MM&FF ran eight issues of cylinder head test on 4 different classes. One week they would put the heads on the flowbench, the next they would stick them on a motor. I bought every issue and gave most of them away to people making the decisions on which heads to buy.

If you do a search on the net for MM&FF Ultimate Cylinder Head Test, you may get lucky and find the article. Lots of info on heads on the market.
ya? great i will look into that thanks that will help me and im sure some others out lots. if you hear anything more keep me posted.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:55 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by primetime5.0

no i didnt think you were bluffing me haha i was curious of the extent of the work... me myself have been designing a 347 for several months (probably 6 to a year haha) now and cant wait to blue print it and get it going for real... what was the best thing you have done to your car int your opinion? and i dont care if it takes and hour im totaly interested in the work on your car. you took the very opposite road my car did insted of working on the engine(i did a little a new intake and pully kit, 3.73 gears) first i have got it custom painted and lowerd it and put some cobra R's on it... i injoy hereing more keep me posted.

Last edited by mjr46; 02-12-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:00 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

what kind of intake manifold is that and what size that looks sweet!!! and what psi are your fuel lines running? thats sweet man haha i admire the work... but however i am worried with the clutted wires and stuff on the windsheild haha hows it run?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

flow isn't everything
Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

no i didnt think you were bluffing me haha i was curious of the extent of the work... me myself have been designing a 347 for several months (probably 6 to a year haha) now and cant wait to blue print it and get it going for real... what was the best thing you have done to your car int your opinion? and i dont care if it takes and hour im totaly interested in the work on your car. you took the very opposite road my car did insted of working on the engine(i did a little a new intake and pully kit, 3.73 gears) first i have got it custom painted and lowerd it and put some cobra R's on it... i injoy hereing more keep me posted.
The heads/cam/intake is pretty badass, the tko 600 was a good mod too

what kind of intake manifold is that and what size that looks sweet!!! and what psi are your fuel lines running? thats sweet man haha i admire the work... but however i am worried with the clutted wires and stuff on the windsheild haha hows it run?
The intake is pretty much a carbeurated victor junior lower drilled to run fuel injectors. Its got an accufab 90mm TB and a 95mm PMAS. runs good enough to beat pullied cobras, even with 58% percent blowby.. just wait till it gets new rings and pistons..
Old 08-19-2009, 01:09 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

flow isn't everything
i agree flow isnt everything but if you know how to put that flow into an engine and give it a good amount of fuel it will burn up real nice with a simple spark.... thats sweet what do you have for a cam did you say you have?

Quick Reply: heads???? AFR, DART, trickflow, edelbrock, holley... whats best?