5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.
View Poll Results: In your opinion whats best?
Ford Racing
4.55%
Trickflow
50.00%
AFR
36.36%
Ford
0%
Dart
4.55%
Edelbrock
0%
Holley
4.55%
Other
4.55%
Fuel Injected
9.09%
Carb
13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

heads???? AFR, DART, trickflow, edelbrock, holley... whats best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpkins_44
i agree flow isnt everything but if you know how to put that flow into an engine and give it a good amount of fuel it will burn up real nice with a simple spark.... thats sweet what do you have for a cam did you say you have?
agreed but thats where a custom camshaft is important, the cam is taylored to the mods that you have. I have a billet cam custom ground from jay allen at camshaft innovations
Old 08-19-2009, 01:23 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
agreed but thats where a custom camshaft is important, the cam is taylored to the mods that you have. I have a billet cam custom ground from jay allen at camshaft innovations
hahah great timing for that responce... haha ya i was looking into getting a cam ground for me but i will wait for more work to get done first and keep looking for a decent shop i dono any good shops around where i live not a hole lot of foxbodys everything around here is tunners and im glad to say im not going to fall into that mess anytime soon...i graduated with the fastest car in highschool last year and my car was not much back then as much as it is now haha... who drilled out ur lower intake was it costly or should i just stick to a Trick Flow Box-R-Series Intake?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:28 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

you buy them already drilled

http://www.cprparts.com/products/airfuel/spyder.html
Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
rilly where from haha i guess i havent been looking at carb lower intakes much hmm i have but once seen that before haha
Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i will come fro mthe dead and state what i have ran and had on my motors and possession.and list them in my preference order out of them

ootb tw's
ootb cnc'd canfield aluminum 192's
ootb afr 185's
rhs 180.s

and a few set of gt40's

out of them all on all the motors they were on (stock shortblock and built little 306 , all efi the twisted wedges pulled better than the others hands down and combos were the same except for head swaps and all stick cars.

if i was going to buy a set of new/used heads tomorrow i would buy any of the trickflow heads below only..

-r head
-fast as cast 190cc
-highport
...and so on again this is my experience and opinion.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:48 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtmustang
i will come fro mthe dead and state what i have ran and had on my motors and possession.and list them in my preference order out of them

ootb tw's
ootb cnc'd canfield aluminum 192's
ootb afr 185's
rhs 180.s

and a few set of gt40's

out of them all on all the motors they were on (stock shortblock and built little 306 , all efi the twisted wedges pulled better than the others hands down and combos were the same except for head swaps and all stick cars.

if i was going to buy a set of new/used heads tomorrow i would buy any of the trickflow heads below only..

-r head
-fast as cast 190cc
-highport
...and so on again this is my experience and opinion.
thanks... i will look into them all and compare them i will post witch heads i deside one but that wont be for a while... thanks for the post... if you dont mind me asking what did you use for a intake monifold.. or what is one you would go out and buy with no regrets. i look forward to hearing from you again thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 02:13 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

the intake on the 306 setup (tw's and afr 185's) was a ootb eddy rpm 2 and 70 mm tb and a b2 (anderson cam)

and on the stock 302 with the canfields and rhs( which i will personally not get again ) was with a eddy performer rpm tfs stage 2 cam/65mm tb

the 306 setup with the tfs would start to haul some *** at about 3000 and pull to the rev limiter but i know it would of pulled a little higher maybe..

unfortunately never made it to the track with those setups as i was young and younger and just ripped up the street plus the track is over 1 1/2 away.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:17 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

plus if u are going with a 347 then i ( if u) would not be lookin at anything smaller than 190 cc's and if u ever plan on building a crazy little 8.2 stroker or 351 w stroker then look even bigger.

do it right once....your wallet will thank u....
Old 08-19-2009, 02:21 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

I'd say for a 302 AFR 165's are great, for a 347, like jt said, you can't go wrong with a set of TFS high ports or TFS FAC heads.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:24 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

ya.. i totaly agree.. i choose to talk to the customers couse who knows a product more then one who uses one... i was just looking at the trick flow Cylinder Head R Series and i have to admit they are impressive one of the definite stand outs but im still reading over the fine print haha another good idea before a desition is made. but i am thinking if AFR has a 225cc why cant i find a trick flow 225cc or close i thought i have before but i must be looking in the wrong places all i see is a 206cc witch is probably more then enough but im lost on why i dont see them hmm... keep me posted if you see anything

Quick Reply: heads???? AFR, DART, trickflow, edelbrock, holley... whats best?