5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Think my rotors are warped

Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Default Think my rotors are warped

Lately i've noticed that when I roll to a stop, my car jerks a little. It will keep jerking until I stop. I have also had to give it more gas to get going, like something is holding it back. My only thought is warped rotors. What do you all think?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:00 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Warped rotors will not hold the car back, only pulsate as you are stopping. Maybe you also have a sticking caliper and or a COLLAPSED/SWOLLEN BRAKE HOSE
Old 08-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Yeah what pro said. Warped rotors will show up good if you take your hands off the wheel and hit the brakes with medium pressure. The steering wheel will shimmy side to side when they are warped.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:39 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Yeah what pro said. Warped rotors will show up good if you take your hands off the wheel and hit the brakes with medium pressure. The steering wheel will shimmy side to side when they are warped.
correct, assuming it's the front rotors that are warped.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Not to be a smart *** but its a fox. If it had rear rotors then you would feel a vibration in the seat.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

replace d'em rotors
Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Warped rotors will not hold the car back, only pulsate as you are stopping. Maybe you also have a sticking caliper and or a COLLAPSED/SWOLLEN BRAKE HOSE
It's definitely pulsating. I think I will just replace them. Looks like the parts stores have em for $40 a piece, can anyone recommend some after market ones for a decent price? Summit brand ones are $130 a pair, they look nice. I always hear slotted or cross drilled rotors are just for show, so maybe i'll be just as well off with some cheapies from the parts store.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I bought a set of ebc ones that were slotted and blind drilled for 99.00 a piece and they have worked well
Old 08-21-2009, 06:57 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Today I took off my wheels and caliper to try and see if the rotors were actually warped. From just eyeballing it, they look fine. But when I turn it by hand there is a spot where it is harder to turn. Should you be able to tell if the rotor is warped by looking at it? The wheel bearings are nearly brand new, I don't know where else to look.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:15 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LOUDexhaust
It's definitely pulsating. I think I will just replace them. Looks like the parts stores have em for $40 a piece, can anyone recommend some after market ones for a decent price? Summit brand ones are $130 a pair, they look nice. I always hear slotted or cross drilled rotors are just for show, so maybe i'll be just as well off with some cheapies from the parts store.
Slotted/cross drilled rotors are for show? Don't ever speak to the people that told you that, ever again.

Matter of fact, take those people out on a ride in a car that doesn't have slotted rotors. Do a panic stop from 130mph, then go put some slotted rotors on and do the same thing. Tell me which one stops quicker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Think my rotors are warped