5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Tap,Tap,Tap--But Disappears Quickly??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:58 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Default Tap,Tap,Tap--But Disappears Quickly??

Whats up Fellas! It has been awhile since I have posted...

The Stang is starting to make some strange noises...

Basically, on a cold start...I get a tapping that increases with the motor reving...almost sounds like a valve tapping.

After I rev it up...it quiets down and stops. Oil pressure is coming up like it always has, and I recently changed the oil (10W-30) so it is fresh. I tried adding some STP Oil treatment in there......made NO difference whatsoever...

Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:06 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

sticky lifter most likely, or one could be wearing out. Don't run those oil treatment gimmicks either, they dont help.

next time you do an oil change, add 1/2 quart of transmission fluid and let the car run for 5 minutes before you drain it. when you drain the oil, leave the plug out as long as possible.

then fill it up and be on your way
Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Do a compression check on all your cylinders, you really would want to have a leak down compression tester not just a reg. one, or you could hook up a vacuum gauge, you can diagnose bad rings valves etc. make sure one of your rockers aren't hitting the valve covers if you have stock ones and didnt take the baffles out. does it sound like a valve tick or more like rod knock?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:14 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kennebellgt
make sure one of your rockers aren't hitting the valve covers if you have stock ones and didnt take the baffles out. does it sound like a valve tick or more like rod knock?
It has the TrickFlow HCI kit....so new valve covers...and it definitely is more of a valve tick than a rod knock *Thank God*

It sounds like it is coming off the driverside.....top of the motor, just not sure why it goes away after a minute. If it was the Oil pump.....the pressure would take longer to come up, right?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:19 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
sticky lifter most likely, or one could be wearing out. Don't run those oil treatment gimmicks either, they dont help.

next time you do an oil change, add 1/2 quart of transmission fluid and let the car run for 5 minutes before you drain it. when you drain the oil, leave the plug out as long as possible.

then fill it up and be on your way
Since it would even out after a minute, I though it was because the oil wasn't getting up there or something.....so I figured get some of that thick oil treatment so it would hang out up there a little longer....just like you said.........didn't help

Tranny Fluid?? Interesting tip...What would the tranny fluid do?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

I would say what adder said, thats probably it, take your upper off and pull that valve cover off and see if any of the lifters have any play in them, (up and down) compare one with another and etc. just make sure you do it all at once and warm the car up before taking everything apart so the lifters still have pressure in them.

Last edited by kennebellgt; 08-26-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CantStopTheFox...
Since it would even out after a minute, I though it was because the oil wasn't getting up there or something.....so I figured get some of that thick oil treatment so it would hang out up there a little longer....just like you said.........didn't help

Tranny Fluid?? Interesting tip...What would the tranny fluid do?
It can free sticky lifters and it cleans the motor well, just dont run it for too long it can wear out your cam bearings, lifter and crank bearings.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:32 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kennebellgt
I would say what adder said, thats probably it, take your upper off and pull that valve cover off and see if any of the lifters have any play in them, (up and down) compare one with another and etc. just make sure you do it all at once and warm the car up before taking everything apart so the lifters still have pressure in them.
So if there is a little play, just tighten the rocker a bit? Or should I replace the lifter? I should also note, that the lifters were new when I installed them with the HCI 2 years ago...
Old 08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Do what Adder said, it sounds like a sticky or worn lifter, causing it to not maintain 0 lash until the oil pressure comes up.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:37 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CantStopTheFox...
So if there is a little play, just tighten the rocker a bit? Or should I replace the lifter? I should also note, that the lifters were new when I installed them with the HCI 2 years ago...
there might be a tiny bit of play that is normal just compare one with another and so fourth, and I would replace the lifter so you dont have the same issue pop back up in the future, you can try to adjust it to see if you can get the play out but i would just replace it if its real bad just make sure you compare one with another so you dont replace something that doesn't need fixed.

Quick Reply: Tap,Tap,Tap--But Disappears Quickly??