5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

water pump replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

Default water pump replacement question

my waterpump started to leak by the gasket, it was a slow leak then all of a sudden leaked like crazy.

after shopping around i decided to purchase a stock one from autozone. since ive never had an overheating prob before with the original one. so no need for a super duty one.

anway its a duralast one with lifetime warranty. and comes with the two gaskets and backplate. my question is which sealant should i use, how much should i apply and if its even needed at all. will the gaskets be enough on their own? also the plate and one of the gaskets is already bolted to the waterpump, should i leave it or unbolt the two bolts also apply sealant to the gasket.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

gasket by itself is fine
Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

hey i was doing some more searching on the forums and came across someone using the right stuff sealant just by itself. any experience with that stuff and whats the model number to check it out?

also how about the bolts, any locktight or special sealant needed on them? and whats the torque specs needed for each bolt?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

thousands of water pumps i've done, i've never used a sealant or torque specs... never had a leak yet.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

Yup just use the gasket that the waterpump comes with, you'll be fine. We have water pumps too,if anyone ends up needing one.

Tony
Old 09-01-2009, 08:41 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

ok cool. im doing it tomorrow. so ill keep ya posted. thanks for the help
Old 09-01-2009, 08:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

use a gasket and a thin layer of the right stuff, I never take the chance since my set up is such a pain to remove, but trust me with the gasket and the right stuff you won't have a leak
Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by 1ATony
Yup just use the gasket that the waterpump comes with, you'll be fine. We have water pumps too,if anyone ends up needing one.

Tony
Tony... are you formerly of MCR?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:06 AM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Tony... are you formerly of MCR?
Yes that was my place. I came on board over here at 1A Auto to help ramp up their marketing dept.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

ok everything went real nice and smooth. no leaks at all from the gasket. i did find a small hole in the lower radiator hose. so i changed that as well. after filling up the radiator i started the car and let it run for a few mins however it still ran over 200 degree's. so i shut the engine. then i squeezed the upper radiator hose to see if coolant was in it and there was some. but not filled completely.
about a year ago i replaced the thermostat with a 180 temp one. so i dont think that is faulty. the only other thing i can thing of is maybe my temp sending gauge wire is too close to the headers throwing off my readings. is that possible?

Quick Reply: water pump replacement question