5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

noob with a problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:49 PM
christislord

Default noob with a problem

hello everyone, may Peace and Christ be with you all!! I'm new here, and I Was just wondering if ya'll can help me. I got an 1989 mustang gt conv. 302 from my brother awhile back and it didnt run then. We had tried to get it started but with no luck. The closest we got was when my brother covered the intake so no air would go in. it started but was at a very, very, low rpm. maybe 4-500 rpm puttering. as soon as he let air into the intake, it cut off. If anybody can tell me what this means I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance and God Bless!!
Old 09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

check for spark then check for fuel pressure
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 PM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

Always check for Air..Fuel..and spark. Without those three...no go
Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 PM
christislord

and how would I do that? (sorry but I've never checked for those things before)
Old 09-01-2009, 10:46 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

covering the intake like that is essentially the same thing as a carburetor choke. It seems you aren't getting enough fuel. You're getting some kind of spark because it does start, barely. First thing I would check is the fuel filter. You'll find it underneath the car, in front of the gas tank, pretty much directly above the rear axle. Once you get it out, blow into it and see if its free flowing or clogged, but be VERY careful NOT to inhale while you are doing this.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by christislord
and how would I do that? (sorry but I've never checked for those things before)
there is a test port on the fuel rail, get a gauge from autozone and screw it on there and turn the key to on and see if pressure builds up.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 PM
christislord

mattdel, thanks I will definitely do that first thing tomorrow. fuel filters shouldnt cost that much right?

mjr46, thanks also, assuming that their is no pressure, what would that mean and how much would it take to fix. Thank you all and God Bless!!

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6
Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no pressure could mean inoperative fuel pump, bad relay to pump ect ect.....
Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 PM
christislord

Okay, so I checked the fuel filter, and when I blew in it, the air came out the other end. There was fuel in it too(I emptied it before I blew in it). When I was doing this I remembered another thing about when we tried starting it. When we didnt cover the intake and it just turned over, and over we could smell gas. It would leak from one of the injectors on top of the manifold. But when we would get it barely running, no leak. So I assume everything is okay up to the injectors. How can I check if an injector is good or not? Oh, and another thing, the smog pump locked up, so my brother bypassed it and the stems where the hoses go on on the egr valve thats behind the throttle body are corroded bad. could that be the problem? let me know please. God Bless.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:52 PM
christislord

bump........

Quick Reply: noob with a problem