5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

TREMEC 3550 and reverse

Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 AM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default TREMEC 3550 and reverse

So, I just got back from Greece and my car was sitting for two weeks in my garage. No one touched it and everything was fine. A week before that is when I got it back from the shop after doing some maintenance to keep it reliable. The only thing done to the transmission was an oil change. Redline MT90 was added. I've driven the car after the maintenance and it worked like a charm...then I left for Greece.

When I got back from Greece, I reversed the car out of my garage (two days ago) and made my way to a local car show with absolutely NO issues.

**What I have to do with this transmission for it to go into reverse accordingly is step on the clutch, put it into 4th, let it engage, take it right out again and then put it into reverse. I've done this numerous times with no issues.

Nothing grinded when I did this, etc... The only thing I remember doing on the way to the car show is maybe romping on it a little during a straightaway. My shifts are not incredible but I don't think I did anything bad.

Anyway, so I make it to the car show and I'm looking for my friend's Chevelle so I can park next to him. I go around the lot and find myself in a dead-end so my only option is to reverse. So I put it in 4th, let it engage, then I go to slip it in reverse and it won't let me. It kept on making a grinding noise (not exactly grinding but more like a tap tap tap, as if it were telling me to take a f*cking hike and that it's not going into reverse right now). I tried a ton of times to get it in but it kept on telling me to f*ck off. Then everyone started looking at me like I was an idiot.

I shut the car off to test the gears and they were going into their respective destinations with NO issues. When I turned it back on though, it still wouldn't let me go into reverse. So I finally shut the car off, put it in reverse and then started it and it reversed fine. I parked the car and then left for 20 minutes to check out the cars at the show. When I got back to move my car, I put it in 4th, let it engage and then slipped it into reverse and it only made a slight tap and it went right in.

Anyone have any ideas what the heck happened or is happening? Thank you.

It's a TREMEC 3550 with a Centerforce clutch. I know NOTHING else about it or how many miles it has. I do know that one of the previous owners used to race the car at some point with NOS before it was restored. The body and interior was restored but mechanically the car was left as is. Don't let this info interfere with your recommendations or suggestions though because the car has been working fine for the past two months.

Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

whats your cable setup?

sweet *** ride btw, i dig it.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
whats your cable setup?

sweet *** ride btw, i dig it.
Thanks man! I'm pretty new to manuals and Fox bodies, my previous car was an automatic 2007 GT. I don't really know much about this car because the previous owner only really focused on the body and interior.

All I know is that it's a TREMEC and has a Centerforce clutch (351W). I'm going to try and find out the cable setup though.

BTW - your ride is looking good too, keep up the good work!

Last edited by mAnYsTyLeS; 09-04-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

REDLINE MT-90 I believe is the wrong fluid a tremec 3550 uses gm synchromesh and only syncromesh should be used...not gear oil for manual trannies , if what they used is not such then out the fluid must come and add the synchromesh

Last edited by mjr46; 09-04-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:15 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

because it goes in fine with the car off, not notchy or anything, i have reason to believe you've got cable issues. most likely still have stock quadrant and non adjustable cable, and they stretch over time.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Check the cable AND change to GM Synchromesh. I've tried several different fluids on my TREMEC, it runs best with the GM SM. What shifter does it have?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
REDLINE MT-90 I believe is the wrong fluid a tremec 3550 uses gm synchromesh and only syncromesh should be used...not gear oil for manual trannies , if what they used is not such then out the fluid must come and add the synchromesh
I knew this would come up... I told the shop that had my car for several weeks during routine maintenance and some performance installations that I wanted GM Synchromesh in the tranny. The owner, who is well trusted in the area and runs with a race team told me that he has put Redline in every Tremec he's ever worked on and never had a problem.

I wasn't going to go against his word because he's a very highly regarded person.

Not sure what to do now. I hear all kinds of opinions about oil...
Old 09-04-2009, 09:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
AND change to GM Synchromesh. I've tried several different fluids on my TREMEC, it runs best with the GM SM.
the same with my tremec 3550 get the redline out of there
Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
because it goes in fine with the car off, not notchy or anything, i have reason to believe you've got cable issues. most likely still have stock quadrant and non adjustable cable, and they stretch over time.

Sometimes
though, it is a BIT notchy to row through the gears when the car is off. Usually first and second. What would this mean?

67mustang302
- I'm not sure which shifter it has. Looks like it might be the original one. Looks pretty old school.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I trust what tremec says not the local "trusted" guy, just drain it yourself and use a suction gun to install the right stuff, once the blocker rings friction material absorbs the new fluid, that's when I see the probs start, often after 10-15 mile drive and tranny warms fluid warms up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TREMEC 3550 and reverse