5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

v85.0 engine randomly dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:49 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by mtoliverjr
I enjoy learning and working on the car myself, it just is very perplexing sometimes for someone who has no knowledge of the tasks at hand
I love how someone throws a part out and you slap it on and it still doesn't fix the issue.....if you enjoy wasting money, it's your dough, or you could just follow the link I posted and see what the self diagnostics in your car turn up..ie codes??? just a thought
Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 PM
mtoliverjr

i've had a mechanic working with me over the issue. he's gone through and diagnosed the engine. he's confident a tune is the only issue

i've had other guys tell me it needs a tune as well. but two months ago the operational level of the car was infinitely higher.

I had the rear end gears changed from 273s to 410s. that's when this performance, or lack there of became an issue. my last sheet reported my A/F ratio as 10:1.

I apologize for my ignorance. I had a friend help me in attempting a KOER/KOEO test (which he was better at claiming to know how to do than actually doing). He couldn't make much of any results. I'll go through today or tomorrow and attempt it myself.

Thanks for the continued replies

Last edited by mtoliverjr; 09-09-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 AM
mtoliverjr

I'm re-attempting the KOER test later. My codes from KOEO were

65 85 13333
85 85 13333

on the two attempts. I might have miscounted the 65 as an 85.

85 = gas solenoid troubles. I was told that isn't necessary for function, but I'd love a second opinion. I'll pull these codes 2-3 more times and the KOER codes 5 times for clarity and report back
Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

i've had a mechanic working with me over the issue. he's gone through and diagnosed the engine. he's confident a tune is the only issue
I've been working on these cars a long time and I'm confident your mechanic is not in tune....I mean no disrespect either saying that, I've worked on mustangs with far more mods than you have and that have used a stock ecm and have run fine and not need a so called chip/tune.......the 133333 code you got is not a code, you need to redo the koer and get accurate results........also with bog issues make sure your maf is matched to inj, fuel pressure set right, distributor installed properly and timed properly, tps set, no vaccum leaks pressent and so forth
Old 09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
mtoliverjr

I should probably make a new thread to cut through clutter, but I've already made a noob of myself. I apologize for dancing around the issue without better research. I've gotten a little more involved and have this to report:

KEOE test: ran twice, same results. 67 85 67 85 13333(endlog)
67- Neutral Drive switch open or AC ON (ac was off, radio face disconnected)
67- Clutch circuit failure
85- Canister purge circuit failure
85- Canister purge solenoid circuit failure
85- Adaptive fuel lean limit reached

I'm not sure what to gather from this. I guess the clutch circuit failure could cause the hard starts I've been experiencing after the cars been running a while? I was told the solenoid isn't a big deal. Could the Adaptive mean no 02 sensor function?

KOER: repeated twice.
4 11 (start sequence) 21 94 44 33 21 94 44 3 (car died)
restarted machine, flashed a quick 3 (assuming the end of the previous string)
after the car reved up to 14-17 for a few seconds, when it dropped to 900 it made a harsh backfire
after reving up again, second code batch 94 44 33 94 44 33

21- ECT out of self test range (cold engine?) discarding

33- EGR Valve not opening, OR EGR not fully closed
assuming this is the EVR not doing it's job properly. Reading more on this later

44-Thermactor air system inoperative RH
94-" "LH
involves parts
Air supply pump
Air bypass valve
Combination air bypass/air control valve
solenoid vacuum valve
thermactor idle vacuum valve
air pump resonator

no clue where to start with that system. not sure what all that stuff does but i'll be reading over it

The car doesn't really cut out on me like it had been doing. The hard starts are still happening but I can get it running so far.

It stands up like a champ more or less when I first crank it. 30 seconds later it's got a vicious sluggishness present past 1500 rpms.

I didn't do the cylinder test yet. Wasn't sure if I needed to bother with it. Didn't see any codes that'd display. If it's useful I'll do it.

I have my suspicions but I'm obviously a scrub. I'm planning to swap the 02s because I feel that they're suspect, and I was going to reset the computer with 30 minute battery disconnect/headlights on. If any of that is ill-advised, I appreciate the notion to not bother.

I appreciate any input on the matter. I'm sorry it took me so long to present the problem in a legitimate manner. Thanks for your patience, if there's anything else I should share to help convey problems I'll be glad to.

Last edited by mtoliverjr; 09-10-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

I should probably make a new thread to cut through clutter, but I've already made a noob of myself. I apologize for dancing around the issue without better research. I've gotten a little more involved and have this to report:

KEOE test: ran twice, same results. 67 85 67 85 13333(endlog)
67- Neutral Drive switch open or AC ON (ac was off, radio face disconnected)
67- Clutch circuit failure
85- Canister purge circuit failure
85- Canister purge solenoid circuit failure
85- Adaptive fuel lean limit reached

I'm not sure what to gather from this. I guess the clutch circuit failure could cause the hard starts I've been experiencing after the cars been running a while? I was told the solenoid isn't a big deal. Could the Adaptive mean no 02 sensor function?

KOER: repeated twice.
4 11 (start sequence) 21 94 44 33 21 94 44 3 (car died)
restarted machine, flashed a quick 3 (assuming the end of the previous string)
after the car reved up to 14-17 for a few seconds, when it dropped to 900 it made a harsh backfire
after reving up again, second code batch 94 44 33 94 44 33

21- ECT out of self test range (cold engine?) discarding

33- EGR Valve not opening, OR EGR not fully closed
assuming this is the EVR not doing it's job properly. Reading more on this later

44-Thermactor air system inoperative RH
94-" "LH
involves parts
Air supply pump
Air bypass valve
Combination air bypass/air control valve
solenoid vacuum valve
thermactor idle vacuum valve
air pump resonator

no clue where to start with that system. not sure what all that stuff does but i'll be reading over it

The car doesn't really cut out on me like it had been doing. The hard starts are still happening but I can get it running so far.

It stands up like a champ more or less when I first crank it. 30 seconds later it's got a vicious sluggishness present past 1500 rpms.

I didn't do the cylinder test yet. Wasn't sure if I needed to bother with it. Didn't see any codes that'd display. If it's useful I'll do it.

I have my suspicions but I'm obviously a scrub. I'm planning to swap the 02s because I feel that they're suspect, and I was going to reset the computer with 30 minute battery disconnect/headlights on. If any of that is ill-advised, I appreciate the notion to not bother.

I appreciate any input on the matter. I'm sorry it took me so long to present the problem in a legitimate manner. Thanks for your patience, if there's anything else I should share to help convey problems I'll be glad to.
code 67 is because you didn't have the clutch pushed in while doing the KOEO.
if you live in a state where you can get away with trashing the air pump system, do it.
don't discard the ECT code, that's a crutial sensor for fuel strategies.
EGR valve wouldn't cause the car to die.

all in all, i'd say... idk wtf is wrong lol =)
Old 09-10-2009, 07:58 PM
mtoliverjr

no cats on it, if the air system refers to that. or are we talking smog pump. i'm emissions ignorant.

i thought fresh o2 sensors and resetting comp to default would help the car remap itself, with what little log data it goes off
Old 09-10-2009, 08:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

have you run a fuel pressure test on the car yet??, if fuel pressure isn't up to par, that'll cause hard starts due to a weak pump or restricted filter
Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 PM
mtoliverjr

when we installed the new FPR after the new fuel pump didn't fix the trick, the new psi was a steady 40 at idle and under load. the old FPR had a pinhair hole in it that let it bleed right back down to 25psi.

at this point the car isn't dying really, just hard starting after it's been running for a while and not performing past 2k rpm

i'm left to suspect it's a sensor that impacts a/f ratio stuff. it runs strong while cold, then flattens out to down right ****e performance once it warms past 140.

is the cylinder balance test worth running? does it tell me anything useful or give me code references?

is there any strong likelihood that a (few) injector(s) are spraying improperly?

just some things floating in my head. the fuel filter on the fuel line (not the one on pump in tank) is about 4 months old. maybe the fresh pump install dropped in some grime that's clogging the fuel filter on fuel line

very open to suggestions as to what I might want to start with
Old 09-10-2009, 11:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if bleed down is occuring you need to address that issue or hard starting will result, my 89 did that and it was the fpr

Quick Reply: v85.0 engine randomly dies