5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

nox?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM
boonedj
1st Gear Member

Unhappy nox?

ok so i fixed my evap system on my 93 gt and i still failed my nox's for emisions. I was supposed to be under 2.50 and im at 2.69! im all out of ideas on this one what can cause me to fail on nox i am passing everything else. so i guess my question is what are some things that i should try to pass my emisions test?

my cousin is a master tech for nissan and he told me that i can pass if i dump 18 to 20 oz of rubbing alcohol into the gas tank then fill up the gas tank and drive it around until im at 3/4 of a tank and then take it to emisions has any one tried this i dont want to do this unless it is my last resort i dont really like dumping stuff in my gas tank lmao
Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

evap has nothing to do with elevated nox...nox is produced as a result of elevated cylinder temps, if the cooling system is up to par and the car is not running hot, then run a koer test and see if any egr codes are present, egr is there to reduce nox/ quench cylinder temps, if egr is a okay.......it may be a result of excessive carbon build up on top of the pistons or in the chamber of the heads, a good induction clean or seafoam treatment will remove carbon......carbon build up takes up space ...ie ups compression and thus elevates cylinder temps and therfore elevates nox levels......your cousin is a mastertech, he should of known the answer to the question..not the bandaid attempt
Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 AM
boonedj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
evap has nothing to do with elevated nox...nox is produced as a result of elevated cylinder temps, if the cooling system is up to par and the car is not running hot, then run a koer test and see if any egr codes are present, egr is there to reduce nox/ quench cylinder temps, if egr is a okay.......it may be a result of excessive carbon build up on top of the pistons or in the chamber of the heads, a good induction clean or seafoam treatment will remove carbon......carbon build up takes up space ...ie ups compression and thus elevates cylinder temps and therfore elevates nox levels......your cousin is a mastertech, he should of known the answer to the question..not the bandaid attempt
ya i knew it had nothing to do with it but the emisions facility told me that i needed my charcoal canister hooked up and they told me that would fix it lol so i thought why not ill try it

ya when he told me about that bandaid fix i was like wtf
Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
scatfox331
1st Gear Member

that is a bandaid fix. but if you r gunna do it u dont use rubbing alcohol cuz it has water in it. you go to ace and buy denatured alcohol. wat part of az you in ?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:24 AM
boonedj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scatfox331
that is a bandaid fix. but if you r gunna do it u dont use rubbing alcohol cuz it has water in it. you go to ace and buy denatured alcohol. wat part of az you in ?
ya im not a bandaid kinda guy I don't use em so why should my car lmao

im in glendale
Old 09-10-2009, 04:52 PM
scatfox331
1st Gear Member

haha yea i wouldnt either im in glendale too.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

lol...small world^^^^
Old 09-11-2009, 01:59 AM
boonedj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
lol...small world^^^^
ya your tellin me lol
Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Where is your charcoal canister? Your car had it at one point along the way.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:12 PM
boonedj
1st Gear Member

It does have the charcoal canister that's what I fixed I didn't have the tube and sensor that goes from the canister to the intake manifold

Quick Reply: nox?