5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

loose rocker arm??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:52 AM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: loose rocker arm??

yeah i will look at it. yeah i added new springs. the springs didnt come with shims just the rocker arms did. all of the springs were the same there were just two different retainers that went in the intake and exhaust springs. people said they didnt shim there rocker arms and not to do it. but as for the springs they didnt come with shims. now i know some of the springs are going to be down or up depending on what they are doing. compression or exhaust so i should just look for a spring that is pulled in? oh and whats the difference between ticking and tapping? sounds like they would be the same thing. i just checked the passenger side and all the bolts are at 20ftlbs..
Old 07-11-2005, 03:33 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

a tick i would reference as a sound you would hear lightly as in from the rockers[needing adjusted]
a tap i would reference as a sound you would hear from the valve smacking hte piston
a knock i would reference as a sound you would hear from the bearings from crank or rods

a backfire then the sound gets me thinking a bent valve. it hung open and the fire was back thru the intake instead of the exhaust. i would check the intake springs/valves. you either floated a valve, spring colasped or a retainer/keeper came loose

the springs i got and retainers where different. one said intake other said exhaust. and each had shims
Old 07-11-2005, 03:50 AM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

well when i put the car in 5th gear at low rpms and floor it i can hear it ticking from inside the car to give you and idea. the car seems to still be running fine. the springs i got were crane that came with different retainers like you said one for intake and one for exhaust. intake being red and exhaust being black. if i did bend a valve what do i need to do to fix it? will it hurt me to ride with it this way?
Old 07-11-2005, 02:22 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Do a cranking compression check before to you drive it any more. A bent valve can turn into a broken valve, which leads to a blown engine. Do not risk it any further unless you want a new and expensive project.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

do what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^ i wouldnt drive it liek that at all
Old 07-11-2005, 05:00 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

ok..well the car seems to be running fine and the sound almost sounds like a leak out of the header. maybe i blew another header gasket. i was talking to my friends dad today that builds motors and he said if i had a bent valve it would create a miss in the piston and the car would shake and run like crap..is this true?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:57 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Yes it would. You can also make a 'stethoscope' out of a old wooden broom handle cut to about 30 inches. Put one end 'in' your ear, the other on various places on your valve cover and listen to your rockers at idle. If one area sounds much different than the others, proceed to compression check...good luck.
An exhaust leak can make a ticking sound also, so try and find that also.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:58 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

sounds like an exhuast leak to me. i think i blew another header gasket. does a bent valve or whatever sound like this? car seems to run fine to me. sounds like crap though.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

well thats another possiblity. start it up and feel for air coming out from teh flange
Old 07-11-2005, 10:59 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

its just weird how it back fired and then the ticking started after that. when the car is at idle i cant hear anything and can barely hear much when i rev it. its when i am driving it when i hear it. i will check for air coming out of the flange when i get home. if it is a exhaust leak its little..thanks for the help ill keep you posted. if it is a bent valve the car would run really bad right??

Quick Reply: loose rocker arm??