MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   loose rocker arm?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/56179-loose-rocker-arm.html)

5.0sTheWayToGo 07-10-2005 09:51 PM

loose rocker arm??

if one of my rocker arms has loosen up will it "tick" more and make more noise?

luckythirteen13 07-10-2005 11:22 PM

RE: loose rocker arm??

if they are RR they will make a slight tick. if its stock, its possible that ticking could be a loose rocker

5.0sTheWayToGo 07-10-2005 11:30 PM

well i had the 1.7 roller rockers put on. and today i was messing around with a mach 1 and dropped into 3rd and my car backfired and then after that i heard a ticking noise from under the hood. i would put it in 5th at low rpms and you could hear the ticking real good. anyone know what i should do? im thinking about taking the valve covers off and tightning the rocker arm bolts.

5.0sTheWayToGo 07-11-2005 01:20 AM

Anybody??

silver91gt 07-11-2005 01:52 AM

I know exactly what happened.
the same thing happened to me, whoever installed the roller rockers didnt make sure the pedestal was on the round side of the bearing in the rocker.

on the Rocker's shaft there is a flat spot on one side for the bolt, the other side is round for the pedestal.

I didnt check when I did mine and after a while they started ticking so bad I thought I may have spun a bearing or something, so I took off the valve cover and one of the rockers was very loose, so I tightened it, and noticed I needed shims for that one now, I took it off and wala, the pedestal was cracked in half.
I called crane cams and they sent me some new ones.

5.0sTheWayToGo 07-11-2005 02:05 AM

did yours ever backfire before you started hearing this noise? i installed the rocker arms and i am pretty sure the flat spot is where it needs to be. i ran it at the track fri night and it ran fine. it just happend today when i dropped into 3rd i got a nice backfire and the thing started ticking

Quik 07-11-2005 02:30 AM

is it a ticking or a tapping. a tapping could be a bent valve. just pull off the cover and see

5.0sTheWayToGo 07-11-2005 02:32 AM

just took the drivers side valve cover off and checked the rocker arms and each one was still at 20ftlbs. im in the middle of taking the passenger side off now so i can check those. even though the ticking sounds like its on the drivers side but i have the manifold off so i think i should anyway. anyone else know what might have happend? do i need to re adjust my valves again? i have no clue why it would backfire and then cause this ticking noise

5.0sTheWayToGo 07-11-2005 02:33 AM

how do i know if one of my valves is bent by pulling the valve cover?

Quik 07-11-2005 02:41 AM

youll see the valve spring look funny. usually when a valve is bent its stuck agains the bowl of the CC. and then youll see the spring kinda pulled in some.

what could of happend is one of the retainers werent in correctly and it popped out. when it popped out the rocker pushed the valve down and there when teh spring. but the valve stayed down. i had this happend with a spring in a head on my old bike.

see i noticed you added new springs, now did you shim them at all? some may of needed shimd also i know with my springs there was a intake spring and exhaust spring.