5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0L turbo kit

Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Lunatic50
1st Gear Member

There's not a really better way to do it; but the piping on the On3 kit x-over each other in the lower part of the engine bay. It would really benefit from another inch of clearance is all I'm saying, either way I don't really care, it still gets the job done well.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:31 AM
xxxmustangtxhc
2nd Gear Member

i have a treadstone kit i havent had any problems with that kit. It bolds right up... yea sure it cracked on me a couple for times but just weled it back up and never happened to me again. i have had the kit for 2 years now and works great.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Flam3

I might have to look into this...
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by Lunatic50
There's not a really better way to do it; but the piping on the On3 kit x-over each other in the lower part of the engine bay. It would really benefit from another inch of clearance is all I'm saying, either way I don't really care, it still gets the job done well.
like how this is done? not the DP i mean the crossover, you can see the flex pipe exhuast piece.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xxxmustangtxhc
it sound to me that u need to build a decent N/A block and drive that around before u decide to buy turbo kit. yes u would need a blow through mass air, yes u do need to calibrate ur injectors.... its not safe to go from a stock car and go to a all out street car.... baby steps. one foot at a time. i dont want to rain an anyones parade but its the truth.
I don't really think it's safe either way. I had my gt with the same setup for nearly 2 years & I still put it into a ditch, but I like getting on it when there's no other cars around & knew i'd do it someday. I'd imagine it's not the last either.

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
I think w/mild steel the kit is still under $2000. Uusally I tell people to stay away from the ebay kits primarily because they are junk and yes the hot-side does tend to crack w/the 304 stainless primarily because of their weak welds and not necc. the stainless tubing. But, I've seen this guy on various forums actually trying to show other people that "cheap" turbo kits can be made effectively. He seems to be backing up his product to with good support. I hope it works out for him because those kits he sells are priced well. Only time will tell the quality!
Stainless expands more than mild steel which causes stress on the entire system, not just 304 stainless. I quit using stainless because of it. It's more noticeable in single setups, most crossover pipes will expand almost 1" at wot, with all that stress you can guess what is going to give between the block or the piping. Flex joints help, but you still have the stress in each header. For my kits I prefer using painted mild steel. .100+ wall thickness for the headers. schedule 40 weld els work good. I prefer painting over wrap due to the wrap trapping moisture & causing the piping to rust faster than coated or unwrapped.

Last edited by FoxGT; 10-02-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Lunatic50
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
like how this is done? not the DP i mean the crossover, you can see the flex pipe exhuast piece.

sorta, I'll have to snap a shot of it really fast; i'll post it up here in a minute...
Old 10-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Lunatic50
1st Gear Member

Here's how the On3Performance kit is routed...

Note: Shiny pipe (304 Stainless) is running from turbo down to FMIC.
Black Mild Steel Pipe is the X-over.
Cold piping is within 1/4 inch of the X-over and about 1/3 inch from the Harmonic Balancer.

When I was first putting the kit together I thought the piping was laying against the balancer, but if you make sure to tighten things up in the right order and move your bends around correctly there is no clearance issue at all with the balancer, just cold piping lays close to that damn x-over.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Lunatic50
1st Gear Member

Here's how the On3Performance kit is routed...

Note: Shiny pipe (304 Stainless) is running from turbo down to FMIC.
Black Mild Steel Pipe is the X-over.
Cold piping is within 1/4 inch of the X-over and about 1/3 inch from the Harmonic Balancer.

When I was first putting the kit together I thought the piping was laying against the balancer, but if you make sure to tighten things up in the right order and move your bends around correctly there is no clearance issue at all with the balancer, just cold piping lays close to that damn x-over.