5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

temp questions

Old 09-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Ginzo

Default temp questions

hey my 351 procharged stang i think is running hot.. i have aluminum radiator, two pulling fans not sure about the cfms but the temp gets up to 200 within ten mins of driving is that normal....wat is the temp that it should hang out around...i have prosport gauges.. and once it hit 190 or 200 antifreeze pisses out the over flow tank, but it isnt the right tank it is much smaller, so do u think that it is just pissing out cause the over flow tank isnt big enough... what should the temp be at normally and why could it be getting hot so fast.....thanks for the help
Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

sounds like a bad radiator cap to me.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Back-in-Black
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ginzo
hey my 351 procharged stang i think is running hot.. i have aluminum radiator, two pulling fans not sure about the cfms but the temp gets up to 200 within ten mins of driving is that normal....wat is the temp that it should hang out around...i have prosport gauges.. and once it hit 190 or 200 antifreeze pisses out the over flow tank, but it isnt the right tank it is much smaller, so do u think that it is just pissing out cause the over flow tank isnt big enough... what should the temp be at normally and why could it be getting hot so fast.....thanks for the help
What temp. thermostat do you have? The stock 5.0 comes with a 192. If you are running a 192 the the temp sounds ok to me. You should not have anything coming out of the overflow. I would replace the radiator cap and see if that is the problem.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Ginzo

yea i figured it was the radiator waiting on one to come in ...right now i dnt have a thermostat in but wen i get one should i get the stock size or a lil bigger.. cause its gana runn hotter than normal with the power adder... and i shoulnt let it get any hotter then 210 correct?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Ginzo

its not the rad cap cause i just changed it and still pissed out at 210 degrees... i dont get it it mind boggles me i dont think it should even get that hot that fast 10 to 20 mins of driven and it reaches that temp and then my water temp gauge starts beeeping and i dnt wana over heat it ....any other suggestions because im out of ideas...thanks
Old 09-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Pressure is the key to no damage from higher temperature. Each pound of pressure lets the temperature increase by three degrees. Water boils at 212 degrees F. Sixteen pounds of pressure adds fourtyeight degrees. Would be 261 degrees F. before boiling. Of course nobody wants to be that warm.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Ginzo

is it better to have a shroud for the fan because i have an electric fan...or wats a real good fan for the car...
Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Ginzo

help please
Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the temp rising to that level in 10 minutes is fine. get a regular size overflow bottle and try again. i still call faulty cap. shouldn't be releasing into the overflow at 190.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Yours gets that hot after 10 mins of driving? My 408 gets to 196 after 5 minutes of idling.

Put a thermostat in, that's the worst thing you can do is run without any thermostat at all, doesn't give the coolant a chance to cool down. At the very least cut the center out of the thermostat so it's at least a restriction. I have a 180 theromostat in mine, engine never gets over 200 in 35 degree weather.

I also have a small over-flow, the smallest allowed by NHRA regulations, 1 pint, never blows it out, so it won't be your overflow unless you have a pop can or something as an overflow.

Is it boiling? or just shooting it out? Grab a rad hose and see if you can feel it. If it's boiling your cooling system isn't adaquet, you're low on coolant, or you have air in the system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: temp questions