5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0L turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 03:40 PM
nitrotweaker

Default 5.0L turbo kit

I have been looking for one for my stock 90 lx and the best deal I found was on ebay. I was wondering if anyone had any good or bad experience with these ebay kit's with a stock motor. The maker of the kit is claiming 488hp and 666tq on stock motor with only a few small mod to the engine ,aka head studs and msl gaskets. The kit it self looks over all a good value but the turbo,bypass valve and waste gate I have questions about quality. I could build one myself but time and some of the equipment is the problem. I also have a few questions about tuning this once I do have it all bolted on. I called on this turbo kit and they told me I would need a blow through mass air flow meter. My first question on that is what is the difference between a blow through and a standard. He also said that it would need to be calibrated to the injectors? I am not sure how that works or if it is true. I am looking into getting a cheap laptop and doing the tuning myself but not sure were or what I should get to tune engine once I get the turbo installed. I am going to go through the motor before the turbo gets installed with better rotating asm but the top end will be almost stock for a year or so. The power I want to make is in the 400 to the tires range. I will want to make more but I think that would be realistic with my budget at this time. I am looking to spend about 3k for all the hard parts and I am going to do the labor myself.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Is it on3performance? So far many people have had good results with it. http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1151743 and http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1099491 Hope this helps
Old 09-25-2009, 05:45 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I would look at some reviews before buying. blow through meters are built to hold together when under pressure. Draw through & blow through function the same. Some people use draw through in blow through setups, but you have to be careful with the plumbing around the meter. As for the calibration, your computer is still going to see the meter & injectors as the same as stock. If you swap to bigger injectors it's still going to think it has the stock ones so it's going to put in more fuel. In that type of situation you want the air meter to send a lower voltage to the eec which is like making it seem like there is less air coming in so it compensates by injecting less fuel.

I would be more worried about your block being the weak link than your rotating assembly.

As for tuning, I bought an acer aspire one to deal with my & other people's cars; they're pretty cheap, but lack a serial port (something to keep in mind)

If money is an issue I would look into a megasquirt standalone. They're pretty cheap & you won't have to spend money on an air meter. You have the option of running it as a speed density or maf setup. I personally prefer sd since there is less of an inlet restriction & makes bov location easy. It takes a little bit to find your way around all of the features, but I find them easy to work with & tune. I wouldn't recommend running one without a wideband. The last setup I installed used summit's wideband kit which uses the lc-1 controller & setup with a summit gauge. It was around $260 shipped. For my setup I went with an aem 6in1 from ebay for i believe $240 shipped. Personally I prefer the aem, but both are pretty good & cheap. If you do order a preassembled one be sure to let them know what car you're using it on. The first one I installed & tuned was setup to drive coil packs so it fried a couple coils before figuring out what was wrong. I loved them after putting a few in, I bought one. I assembled mine myself to learn more about it though. I wouldn't advise it if you have no time, they do take a little while to put together. I actually did a writeup on making an adaptor to plug into the stock harness like a year or two ago.

Last edited by FoxGT; 09-25-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:37 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

If my car was efi i would have already bought the on3performance kit, ive never heard one bad thing about them. They also have some cool videos on ebay along with their customers. Check them out. I was thinking of buying the kit and converting it to blow through set up but i dont know what it would take,.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:00 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by AntiRiceRacing
If my car was efi i would have already bought the on3performance kit, ive never heard one bad thing about them. They also have some cool videos on ebay along with their customers. Check them out. I was thinking of buying the kit and converting it to blow through set up but i dont know what it would take,.
Holley carbs can be converted to blow through
Old 09-26-2009, 05:16 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Holley carbs can be converted to blow through
I know... ?
Old 09-26-2009, 05:36 PM
SVTERMINAT0R
1st Gear Member

listen to NoGo95GT he is the turbo master lol im goin to start working on my notchback next week after i finish with paint job and gear install im going to add on3 performance turbo kit soon as i finish !!!!! ill post some vids and pics also im goin to put chrome 18 saleen wheels >>>>>>>>>>this is how the car looks like rite now
http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg#comments
Old 09-26-2009, 05:36 PM
xxxmustangtxhc
2nd Gear Member

it sound to me that u need to build a decent N/A block and drive that around before u decide to buy turbo kit. yes u would need a blow through mass air, yes u do need to calibrate ur injectors.... its not safe to go from a stock car and go to a all out street car.... baby steps. one foot at a time. i dont want to rain an anyones parade but its the truth.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:56 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTERMINAT0R
listen to NoGo95GT he is the turbo master lol im goin to start working on my notchback next week after i finish with paint job and gear install im going to add on3 performance turbo kit soon as i finish !!!!! ill post some vids and pics also im goin to put chrome 18 saleen wheels >>>>>>>>>>this is how the car looks like rite now
http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg#comments
Fun project! But don't you mean Supercharger Master? LOL
Old 09-26-2009, 08:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by SVTERMINAT0R
listen to NoGo95GT he is the turbo master
lol... what?!?!

Quick Reply: 5.0L turbo kit