5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

my morning from hell

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

Default my morning from hell

its been real cold out here and my cars been parked in the elements outside. finaly got some warm (40+ degree) weather so i figure good day to drive the stang.

nope. i was wrong. went to start it this morning and it fired right up then died immediatly. did this about 5 times before i got out and started tinkering. first thing i did was unplug the MAF and it stayed running for about a minute then died. then I tried the IAC and same thing.

took maf out cleaned it and reinstalled. now it wont even fire up. the fuel psi was at about 20-30 during this time. now it wont even go over 10 psi. when i first when to start it the pump whined like normal.

i let it sit for a minute and came back at it. now the damn thing turns over real slow and makes a loud clicking sound. i tried jumping the solenoid and the starter turns over very slow for a second then just quits.

im thinking i maybe burned out the solenoid but even jumping it does nothing. i cant push start it because its kind of uphill and i got no extra hands.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Put the battery on a charger and after its charged check the levels in it?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:27 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

battery is fine

replaced solenoid and it still just clicking.

this is really weird seeing how the car was starting fine but just wouldn't stay running.

took starter out and tested perfect.

what am i missing?

Last edited by 93 LX FiveO; 10-15-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Have you checked your battery cables? Especially the ground?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:37 PM
89stangbanga
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ksranger
Have you checked your battery cables? Especially the ground?
+1 on that. Check the ground to the block, check to see that your terminals are clean and tight. Clean with baking soda and tooth brush, or just buy battery terminal cleaner and make sure they are on tight.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

when i jump the solenoid i hear the starter but just turning the key i get the clicking.

guys, all wiring is clean. there is a malfunction somewhere between the ignition and the starter.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:06 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

solenoid clicking means its working. not transferring power to the starter, or weak transfer indicates a problem with the physical wire. i'm gonna go with a bad battery ground cable.

battery acid damage travels far up the cables, its not always just on the ends.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:19 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

when i jump the solenoid shouldn't the car try and start?

the starter just makes a click noise and no crank. this would indicate the starter is getting juice too?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:22 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the starter clicking indicates that all wires are correctly hooked up and power is flowing, but bad grounds or bad battery will give weak crank/click.

Extra cold weather like we've had in Mass lately will kill a battery in a day or so if it's not up to the task.
Take it out and have it tested.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:33 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

you may want to check your fuel lines, this sounds almost just like what happened to me when my car just randomly died and wouldnt run for more than a minute. Im driving, turn the car off, go inside the house, then go back outside and the car wouldnt start. The starter would tick but nothing, then after holding it for a while it would start but die after about a minute. So I check the intake and make sure its getting air and thats good, obviously its getting power, so thats good. The only thing left is the fuel. It might just be that your pressure is too low. For me, a tube on the fuel pump came undone so the engine wasnt getting any fuel. Try chaging the fuel filter and then check the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: my morning from hell