5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

5.0 Build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:20 AM
1hott351

Exclamation 5.0 Build Questions

Hey all,

First off, I would like to apologize for such novice questions, I really have no where else to turn. I have just recently purchased a 91 5.0 HO, manual, with 50k miles. It is bone stock at the moment. Was driven by an old man . Anyway, I am having trouble finding the perfect solution for my "5.0 Build". I would much rather purchase another block / bottom end to start working off of but this is not my daily driver, so this one will have to do, for now. I have set a 10k "budget" for this build (Can go a bit over if i must). I do know I want to go turbo, I have seen some sites posting kits as low as 2k! My MAIN goal is to have this turbocharged fox running 12's or lower, "semi" reliably, meaning a motor / suspension setup what can def. handle it and also being able to drive on the highway *nothing lower than 3.55/3.73*. It HAS to be streetable.

My main questions are:

-What bottom end modifications am I going to need for this setup? Brand name? Kit? Price?

-Suspension kit? Subframe connectors? Tires etc?

-Transmission? 12's a bit steep for the stock tranny? TKO? Do they make a 6 speed transmission what will bolt up to these 302s?

-Top end? Heads / Cam / Intake manif? I hear a lot of people saying the GT40/P heads are a good replacement for stock, but not for enthusiasts? What alluminum heads would you guys recommend? And what cam / intake manifold / TB would not compromise power with them? Looking for an all-around good setup.

- Fuel system? Injectors / Pump?

- single / twin turbo kit recommendations?

- Ignition? Tune? Do i have to find a shop or is there a place online what programs your ecu,pcm,w/e.?

-Missing anything else?

I know I have a lot of questions, I am basically just wanting some sort of "build book" something I can follow. I am sure there are plenty of mustang owners before me who did not do their research and are unhappy with the parts / setup they chose. I don't want to be on that list. I want to make a strong choice and to be honest, I don't have the knowledge what most of you guys have.

I do hope to install most the parts myself but if I am going to need the bottom end done. I think i will pay an experienced shop to assemble it. I can handle heads, intake, cam, turbo install, suspension etc.

Thank you all for your time and please keep puns to a minimum, I am only a novice 302 owner. Help!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:45 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well first off your getting ready to be moved to the general discussion section where this thread belongs (once one of the mods finds it) along with a link that says why.

Anyway, you can hit 12's, be streetable, and not need a turbo. You can do it with the stock trans (depending on how you drive) but TKO's are always nice. A 6 speed swap alone will be over 3k FYI. You can do this with a stock 87-92 shortblock but I don't reccomend it. You might as well rebuild the rotating assembly and stroke it to a 347 while your at it. The cam will be the last thing to purchase that way you can get a custom ground cam specifically for your setup.
Great find BTW and get some pics up ASAP!