5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power steering leaking??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Default Power steering leaking??

I have a power steering leak coming from the metal line that screws into the center of the rack and pinion. The leak is coming directly where the line threads into the rack, so i was wondering if i can repalce the O-ring in the line to stop the leak.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:03 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

I replaced hose about a week ago for $40. It is a plastic piece and I don't think it can be replaced.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Im not sure but about that hose but most of the rack fittings have a nylon washer that goes on them. A ford dealer should have them.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Im not sure but about that hose but most of the rack fittings have a nylon washer that goes on them. A ford dealer should have them.
I'll look into getting some of those. I would rather just buy a new hose, but i've searched everywhere and all I could find is the pressure line and return line. thanks guys.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

The hard metal line is part of the rack and is not replaced separately. Only option would getting a reman rack. That or get one and steal the line off it and return it.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

I got the rack as a reman almost 3 yrs ago, it has about 35k on it. It steers really good, so im sure the rack is still good. I'll check the ford dealer, it'll cost alot, but i guess noone else carries this hose.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:31 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

So i found some tefon seals for the steel line and replaced the return line. Now its leaks from all 4 connections that go in the rack. I really don't want this damn car anymore, im just over it. Theres no more I can do, there now way Im getting back under there. This has by far been the hardest thing I've done on this car. Im gonna have to take it to a shop and have them pull the lines and reseal them. What a can of worms i opened.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

make sure the fittings were free and clean of all dirt and snug them up some more
Old 11-14-2009, 05:18 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
make sure the fittings were free and clean of all dirt and snug them up some more
I cleaned everything real good and used a wire brush. I tried tightening them more and it didn't help. Im thinking that the 2 lines that are ALL steel do not need teflon seals like the pressure and return lines. I did not see any traces of a seal when i removed them. Does anybody know how to properly seal these steel lines? Maybe with teflon tape or thread sealant? thanx...
Old 11-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

how did you put the washer on? they should have been so tight you could barely get them over the threads. The last one I did it got it to start on one thread and then walked it up the rest while I was installing it. Still hasnt leaked. That was on a ranger. On my Mustang Im running stainless lines and o-rings (yeah they hold). However DO NOT put a rubber o-ring on the stock lines or you'll have a squirter!!

Quick Reply: Power steering leaking??