5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clueless yet trying.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:09 PM
onexmadxdisaster

Default Clueless yet trying.

I am a girl, and I try not to be car stupid. I have changed my own tire, I put on a block heater by myself, and I understand how to do brake jobs and I know the names of most car parts. I have worked at Ace Hardware before and currently work at Menards, so I know and UNDERSTAND all my tools and especially nuts bolts washers etc. (thank you Ace Hardware for TEACHING ME!)
My boyfriend and his cousin convinced me into letting them do an engine swap on my 89 lx notchback 4 cylinder to the 5.0. We got an engine for $80 from this guy who was SUPER nice and says he does a lot of work on fieros and such. He gave us a BUNCH of other stuff we would have needed. Like fuel injectors and the drive train and such. But getting to my question...
I have tried researching and looking things up and I guess I fail at forum searches since I don't understand most of the terms you smarties use. Here are my questions. Please don't laugh at me I don't claim to know much. And I don't know how much knowledge to accredit my boyfriend with.... I think he fakes car smart....
1. My boyfriend says I can look up all the bolt sizes I will need, as the engine is missing a lot of exterior bolts. I especially just need to know the size bolt that goes on the engine to mount it to an engine stand. I know a lot about nuts and bolts, and I don't want to just keep using trial and error. Is there a magical master bolt list somewhere, or is he full of crap?
2. His cousin said something about people who know how to make all the electrical hidden underneath or behind the motor or something. I think this would look very sharp, but is this something to complicated for us to try and learn, or is it even a reliable method? Or does it just cause more problems? Should I just stick with wrapping and clipping it to the body the way it was?
3. Conventional vs Synthetic oil. the guys are pro conventional and have been telling me synthetic oil cleans up too much on an engine that ran conventional which may have caused the small oil leak in my 4 cylinder engine. When we clean this engine inside and out, is it okay for me to just start off with Synthetic? Or is one better than the other?
4. They are trying to talk me into some air filter that is more open and cone shaped, instead of my regular air intake. They keep saying it will breathe better and other stuff, but in your opinion is that style stupid or inefficient? I don't want them to take advantage of my stupidity because I told them they can do ONLY what I agree too. I am depending on you guys to teach me!

Sorry if I type too much, or have stupid questions. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Hey there... and teach you they will. I think you're already off to a great start, and may know more than a lot of men already! I can't answer much on your questions - but I can tell you you'll get a hundred answers, all different, about the air intake, especially if you're talking about installing a cold air induction.

IF they are suggesting you purchase a K&N Filter, or something similar of a quality brand (and NOT a CAI), they are correct. Your car is just like you in some regards. That air intake is like your throat and mouth, and just like you, your car won't be as happy with a restricted air flow as it will with something like the filters they are suggesting. ;-)

I leave the rest of the technical stuff to the guys who actually know.

I'm just a girl. ;-)

Edit: Oh yeah, hope you stick around Disaster - you can learn a lot here. I have.

Last edited by Batenswytch; 11-12-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by onexmadxdisaster
1. My boyfriend says I can look up all the bolt sizes I will need, as the engine is missing a lot of exterior bolts. I especially just need to know the size bolt that goes on the engine to mount it to an engine stand. I know a lot about nuts and bolts, and I don't want to just keep using trial and error. Is there a magical master bolt list somewhere, or is he full of crap?
the bolts to put the engine on a stand are 7/16 i dont recall the thread pitch, and im too lazy to go check. AFAIK there isn't a "master bolt list" but most of the bolts you will use are varying lengths of 1/4", 5/16", and 7/16" I dont recall any 3/8" bolts anywhere

2. His cousin said something about people who know how to make all the electrical hidden underneath or behind the motor or something. I think this would look very sharp, but is this something to complicated for us to try and learn, or is it even a reliable method? Or does it just cause more problems? Should I just stick with wrapping and clipping it to the body the way it was?
Don't even bother with this. Get everything in and get it running before you try to start a project like this. Make sure the car works properly first, so that way you arent checking extra things and making more work for yourself.

3. Conventional vs Synthetic oil. the guys are pro conventional and have been telling me synthetic oil cleans up too much on an engine that ran conventional which may have caused the small oil leak in my 4 cylinder engine. When we clean this engine inside and out, is it okay for me to just start off with Synthetic? Or is one better than the other?
Synthetic oils are nice, but if the engine is old, and you don't know what kind of mileage it has, you might as well just stick to cheap conventional. I however run synthetic in my 347.

4. They are trying to talk me into some air filter that is more open and cone shaped, instead of my regular air intake. They keep saying it will breathe better and other stuff, but in your opinion is that style stupid or inefficient? I don't want them to take advantage of my stupidity because I told them they can do ONLY what I agree too. I am depending on you guys to teach me!
they will probably tell you to get a cold air intake too... don't bother, a K&N drop in panel filter (stock replacement) in the factory box is perfectly fine for a stock engine. even some of the builds on this forum would be fine with one. All you should do, is remove the silencer in the fender well.

Now, if your motor doesnt have a stock air box with it, you wont be hurting yourself putting a cone filter on there.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

get a manual first and absorb it
Old 11-15-2009, 05:11 AM
onexmadxdisaster

oh I know I have a chiltons manual I have been carrying around like a little girl with a new doll. Learning a lot and when I recognize almost everything inthe pictures then I know I am getting it. Thanks for the advice, keep it coming!
The bolts worked great and I even managed to get the length right! Got the engine apart completely, down to the block. Lots of scrubbing ahead. My favorite part, making it look pretty! Post more later, need sleep...
Old 11-15-2009, 08:12 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Welcome! Good thing you did come on board. You can and will learn alot on here. Just don't let your b/f make you think he knows all but you already said he probably doesn't. It takes time to learn and you can learn alot just by reading and following along with others.

What all did the guy include in the drivetrain? Auto or manual? Just so you know and someone doesn't steer you wrong, many will say that you have to swap the rear end and the brakes/suspension in the front. You DON'T have too. They will work just fine to get your project up and running. Then eventually you can swap them out. The only thing to watch out for is if you run tail pipes and still have the 7.5 rear end you will need to be careful with the rear brake line. It is in the way on the passenger side but can be moved out of the way just enough to work. Good luck, get some pics, and keep asking questions.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 PM
onexmadxdisaster

Automatic.he included the transmisson and the ... I just spaced the name but thebar that goes from the transmission to the rear axle.. And the big thing that goes in the transmisson. I learned way too many parts lastnight fo remember the names.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

post pics of it with yourself!! so we can see what your working with
Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Automatic.he included the transmisson and the ... I just spaced the name but thebar that goes from the transmission to the rear axle.. And the big thing that goes in the transmisson. I learned way too many parts lastnight fo remember the names.
that would be the driveshaft
Old 11-16-2009, 05:28 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Looks like a redhead in the pic on the picture link in the other thread

Quick Reply: Clueless yet trying.