5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

2nd gear, major BOG at wot at track...need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 PM
9165pt0
3rd Gear Member

Default 2nd gear, major BOG at wot at track...need help

hey guys i went to the track and it sucked. for some reason once i shifted from 1st gear-2nd gear the car would just bog down and feel like i wasnt giving it any gas, then after a sec it would start to go. major lag tho. all other gears and shifts at wot felt normal. i ran twice and it was the same issure both times. and the times slips prove it. compared to prior slips ive noticed that from the 60ft time-next distance time, it took 5 seconds. normally that portion is only 3.5 seconds. i did have an issue earlier today with the car chugging and bogging down but i found my #8 spark plug wire was getting burned by the header, and it was sliding off. so i replaced the wire, and the issue went away. so idk if its related or not. but bottom line it bogs bad from 1-2 at wot. normal driving is fine. all other shifts at wot are fine. plz help with anything i should look into, because its very frustrating trying to get this damn thing to run right.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Double check the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. What gears are you running??
Old 11-19-2009, 02:40 PM
9165pt0
3rd Gear Member

3.73s
Old 11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Tempted

How much gas was in the car? Low fuel will cause this in low gears due to the harsher acceleration when compared to higher gears. What I mean is there is a much harder "hit" between first and second than there is between fourth and fifth.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:47 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Tempted
How much gas was in the car? Low fuel will cause this in low gears due to the harsher acceleration when compared to higher gears. What I mean is there is a much harder "hit" between first and second than there is between fourth and fifth.
which is why there is a fuel supply baffle inside the tank. it keeps fuel from sloshing away from the pump.

what you don't know is that the OP's car has consistantly ran like ****, and he refuses to take toe proper steps to identify his problem. He'd rather go blow his car up at the track driving a malfunctioning piece of machinery, like a jackass
Old 11-19-2009, 06:07 PM
9165pt0
3rd Gear Member

wtf r u talkin about adder? i have 3 stangs, and this is the latest 1 just purchased a month ago. nice way to jump to conclusions n assume things like a ***** wud do. thought this forum was for help, not for forum tuff guys. if you dont wanna be helpful, dont post anything in the thread. if u got some more **** to type, send me a pm...im not much for internet forum wars. so get ur **** straight before u wanna talk ****. this damn forums turned into a couple of ppl who run it and wanna b king. i guess its the only place u feel strong. if this is what this forum has become, then plz kick me out of this ***** *** forum.

to every1 else, thanks for the helpful replies. ill try to fill it up and check.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by 9165pt0
wtf r u talkin about adder? i have 3 stangs, and this is the latest 1 just purchased a month ago. nice way to jump to conclusions n assume things like a ***** wud do. thought this forum was for help, not for forum tuff guys. if you dont wanna be helpful, dont post anything in the thread. if u got some more **** to type, send me a pm...im not much for internet forum wars. so get ur **** straight before u wanna talk ****. this damn forums turned into a couple of ppl who run it and wanna b king. i guess its the only place u feel strong. if this is what this forum has become, then plz kick me out of this ***** *** forum.

to every1 else, thanks for the helpful replies. ill try to fill it up and check.
perhaps you should specify what cars you have, and which you are working with. It would usually give us a better chance of helping you CORRECTLY identify your problem.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 PM
9165pt0
3rd Gear Member

ur rite adder, maybe i shud. but i usually look for ur advice, and to read that wasnt sittin rite.

ok heres the scoop. i just picked up this car from my buddy about a month ago, in a trade. damn car runs hard. i even made passes in it a few months ago, when it was still his. the car still runs hard. except for this 1-2 shift at wot. no other issues. the only way i can duplicate it, is by making a wot 1-2 shift. its never did this before.

the other stang which i have had for years isnt running rite. ur rite about that. but its just a project so i take my time on it. altho it has a similar bogging problem. but its all the time, wot, anything above 3500rpm. im still working on fixing all the codes on it
Old 11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

well perhaps you can give us a list of mods, and other known things about the car. Something we can work with.

with no history, there is no recommendations...

things to check:
All ground cables
Inertia switch in the back
fuel tank baffle (unlikely)
Engine bay wiring harness connection (salt and pepper shakers)
wiring to TFI, coil, and ECM for loose connections
Old 11-19-2009, 08:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 9165pt0
this damn forums turned into a couple of ppl who run it and wanna b king. i guess its the only place u feel strong. if this is what this forum has become, then plz kick me out of this ***** *** forum.
And just who would those couple people be????? be careful what you ask for because I can make it happen,...irregardless of who started this , such an outburst is not warranted and cheap pot shots at the forum are not tolerated, expecially when it has done nothing to you. Please refrain from such, thank you.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear, major BOG at wot at track...need help