5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

wont start and emergency brake smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
bradywright

Default wont start and emergency brake smoking?

I have a 1994 mustang GT 5.0 with 47,000 original miles on it...i went to crank it today and my solenoid still pops and the engine begins to turn over at which point smoke begins to billow from the rubber seals around the emergancy brake area....my car is parked on a hill and then begins to roll backwards because my E-brake has now stoppped working...car still will not start....even when i maintain a 5-7 second turnover on the key.

Anyone have an idea or heard of this type of problem before?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:38 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

clarify 'rubber seals around the emergency brake area'
Old 12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

sounds like a bum starter and its probably melting your positive cable, which in turn is then causing smoke to travel into the car, causing what you see from the E-brake area
Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 PM
bradywright

Rubber seal around emergency brake= Your emergency brake handle has a gap between itself and the center console and a rubber seal around it for asthetic purposes and to keep dust and whatsoever else from disrupting any type of censors and electrical components.

As far as bum starter its a no...this happened briefly once before and just happened hardcore today...now it seems my emergency brake wire has possibly caught current of some type and burned through...because it is no longer there....e-brake handle just floats now basically.

Im gonna have my mechanic check it out but i wasnt sure really if anyone else has ever experienced this type of issue before plus its always a good excercise to try to troubleshoot something like this, really gets the brain joggin a bit.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by bradywright
Im gonna have my mechanic check it out but i wasnt sure really if anyone else has ever experienced this type of issue before plus its always a good excercise to try to troubleshoot something like this, really gets the brain joggin a bit.
considering the positive cable that runs to the starter goes NOWHERE near the E-brake system... its a fairly good possibility that nobody has experienced it before..

probably for the fact that the two could in no way/shape/or form have anything to do with one another. Hell, the ony way they would even be close to eachother is after the car comes out in its transmogrified "cube" form via car crusher!
Old 04-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Jacob Shaw

I'm having the same problem but I have a 1990 mustang gt. Just happened to me wen I got off work. And I smelt something burning yesterday after I timed my car but it was real faint and I couldn't tell for sure. Any one cone to a solution?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:14 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum.

But just a little FYI, digging up old threads is frowned upon in forums. Check the date on the thread you replied to lol. Those that are trying to help you have to reread the whole thread in hopes of understanding your problem. I'd just start a new thread and describe your issues in as much detail as you can. The more information we get, the better we can help.

And proper spelling and punctuation go a long way understanding your thread.