5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Battle Box install

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Fishhawk
2nd Gear Member

Default Battle Box install

I'm finally going to get around to installing the upper and lower torque box reinforcement on my 85 GT. Is this a very difficult installation? Or should I have a shop do it? I prefer to do all the work on the car myself but don't have a welder. A couple shops have given me quotes but I feel they are a little pricey for what looks like a installation thats not to tough. I'm thinking of bolting them in and taking the car to a welder and having him finish the job. Am I bitting of more then I can chew? Also, can someone give me a couple companies that make good reinforcements?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Battle Box install

if you cant weld good then dont try it
Old 07-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Fishhawk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

if you cant weld good then dont try it
Not concerned about the welding part. I know I would need to take it someplace to have them welded in. I am thinking about doing the bolt on myself. I think this is where the labor cost is coming from. If I can do this myself, then take it somewhere for the final welding then I should be able to save quite a bit of money. What I am asking is, is this a difficult job or a basic install?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

how come bolting something that needs welded?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Fishhawk
2nd Gear Member

how come bolting something that needs welded?
Because bolt holes can elongate (sp). They will eventually open up and allow play. Anything I have ever read about torque box reinforcement says to weld them even if they are also bolted.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:00 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

the welder needs to have a drive on lift . no need for you to bolt them in if you get them welded.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:17 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

thats what i was getting at^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Fishhawk
2nd Gear Member

Then why is it I have never seen one of these kits thats not bolt on. Yet all I hear is they should also be welded. Like it is explained on this site:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/howto/35618/
My thinking is that if I can bolt everything in place then whoever welds them for me won't have to take that long to do the job. Saving me money in labor. I'll even have the painted surfaces scraped and ready for a beed of weld. Once again, has anyone done this job and is it that difficult?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

ok now i see what youre talking about. i thought you were bolthing them to the actual torque box all they do is bolt thru the floor pan. now what i would do is have a guy fully welded the torque boxes then mock up those lowers then drill the holes. then bolth them up then have them welded also
Old 07-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Fishhawk
2nd Gear Member

ok now i see what youre talking about. i thought you were bolthing them to the actual torque box all they do is bolt thru the floor pan. now what i would do is have a guy fully welded the torque boxes then mock up those lowers then drill the holes. then bolth them up then have them welded also
So your saying have the torque box's welded first, then bolt the Battle Box's in. Take it back and weld the inside plate..... I think it all depends on who does the welding. If its a friend of mine, we won't have access to a lift and I will probably just weld the plate on the inside of the floor. If its a shop I'll look into welding the entire torque box, seams and all. That leaves the uppers. Not sure if they should also be done. I've never heard of anyone tearing those up, and since I will only be running 300 RWHP I might not need it.

Quick Reply: Battle Box install