MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Motor Pull Question... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/579130-motor-pull-question.html)

tdecario 12-28-2009 08:40 PM

Motor Pull Question...

ive pulled a motor on a couple 5.0 with a t5 in it, a few of them we pulled the tranny with it, one time the tranny was left in place. the latest 5.0 i have is unfortunatelly an automatic (rebuilt AOD with a shift kit). what kind of fun (i use that loosely) am i in for? the motor is pretty much down to the block with the cam still in, but kinda stuck how im going to pull it. im not sure if it easier to pull the motor and tranny, or if i can get away with pulling just the motor. my friend suggest i pullem both out so install later on is easier. this is the first motor im pulling out that the car has an AOD with. im kinda lost here. the only thing holding the motor in is the mounts, and the tranny. i can use the help. it would be greatly appreciated. also, im pulling the motor for full rebuild.

Tony

jkrum10238 12-28-2009 08:53 PM

youd have to take out hte tourque converter bolts out then all the trans bolts, idk if it will but id try and get them out attached those top trans bolts are a bitch

tdecario 12-28-2009 09:08 PM

id have to agree, considering ive never pulled one from an AOD, i just need other opinions from the guys here that have done it. it looks possible, but looks like a MAJOR PITA to get out then an even bigger one to line up the bolts and what not. wonder if anyone here has attempted that. well while were on the subject of motors, what do you guys think about this setup? ported E7, Cobra U/L Ported with intake spacer, E-303 cam, bore the engine to a 306 with forged internals (havent decided on setup yet). 75MM TB 73M MAF plus all the other goodies with the engine. i have the E7, not yet ported, the cobra intake is matched ported. i do not have the cam yet. debating between the Alphabet cam or a custom grind cam. considering its an AOD more than likely looking either between Ecam or Comp cam. it feels like forever since i worked on a 5.0. last one i worked on was about 3-4 years ago. kinda like a long lost friend :-D

jkrum10238 12-28-2009 09:15 PM

ive done it on much worse cars id suggest droping the trans and then pulling the engine probly the easyest

302army187 12-29-2009 06:26 AM

I agree, pull the trans first. just be careful, the AOD's are about 120lbs!

Originally Posted by tdecario (Post 6716990)
well while were on the subject of motors, what do you guys think about this setup? ported E7, Cobra U/L Ported with intake spacer, E-303 cam, bore the engine to a 306 with forged internals (havent decided on setup yet). 75MM TB 73M MAF plus all the other goodies with the engine. i have the E7, not yet ported, the cobra intake is matched ported. i do not have the cam yet. debating between the Alphabet cam or a custom grind cam. considering its an AOD more than likely looking either between Ecam or Comp cam. it feels like forever since i worked on a 5.0. last one i worked on was about 3-4 years ago. kinda like a long lost friend :-D

just remeber with the AOD that it will be a pig with a cam that starts to high, the AOD will need adjusted to shift higher in the RPM's too.

DO NOT port your heads, I did and totaly regreat it. My advice would be to use the money for the project your thinking of doing, and get a good set of heads.

a twisted wedge head on a stock cam set up would make more power then ported E7's and a E303 setup.
(plus you would'nt have to worry about the AOD holding back your set up because of the cam)

tdecario 12-29-2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 302army187 (Post 6717705)
I agree, pull the trans first. just be careful, the AOD's are about 120lbs!

just remeber with the AOD that it will be a pig with a cam that starts to high, the AOD will need adjusted to shift higher in the RPM's too.

DO NOT port your heads, I did and totaly regreat it. My advice would be to use the money for the project your thinking of doing, and get a good set of heads.

a twisted wedge head on a stock cam set up would make more power then ported E7's and a E303 setup.
(plus you would'nt have to worry about the AOD holding back your set up because of the cam)

i was looking at TF setup, and hear nothing but great things about them. i found a setup on DSS that i liked. check it out. http://www.dssracing.com/ProductDeta...ctCode=BB306LB this is what i would love to drop into it, but im not looking for a crazy fast mustang, but i wanna be able to move when i push on the gas. so many decisions... well first things first, motor and trans are gonna come out. thank you guys for your help. :-)

302army187 12-29-2009 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by tdecario (Post 6718400)
i was looking at TF setup, and hear nothing but great things about them. i found a setup on DSS that i liked. check it out. http://www.dssracing.com/ProductDeta...ctCode=BB306LB this is what i would love to drop into it, but im not looking for a crazy fast mustang, but i wanna be able to move when i push on the gas. so many decisions... well first things first, motor and trans are gonna come out. thank you guys for your help. :-)

lol, way to much money for that motor when there main cam choice's are fuking "alphabet" cams!!!!!

You can keep the stock cam, so it will have great road manor's and it will make great power, it won't be anything crazy, probably around 280hp at the tires with supporting mods.

I like trickflow's for many reason's, but any quality head will work. Im just trying to help you out, because If you do ported stock heads, and a e cam, its going to make like 240hp at the tires............. and that gets old quick.
(my car with full bolt ons, full exhaust, typhoon intake, and ported heads made 230hp at the tires!)

tinman 12-30-2009 01:30 PM

I think if I wanted to pull that 5.0 and AOD I would use my cherry picker/engine leveler thing.
The engine leveler is a device with heavy screw in it that let's you tilt the engine/trans to nearly any angle.
Make sure you have a plug in the tail of the AOD as automatics never seem to drain completely dry.
Working by myself, I can oull my 5.0/C-4 in about 25 minutes and re-install it in about 60 minutes......

lxman1 12-30-2009 07:32 PM

I would use the Trick Flow Stage 1 cam over the E303.

tdecario 12-30-2009 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by 302army187 (Post 6718410)
lol, way to much money for that motor when there main cam choice's are fuking "alphabet" cams!!!!!

You can keep the stock cam, so it will have great road manor's and it will make great power, it won't be anything crazy, probably around 280hp at the tires with supporting mods.

I like trickflow's for many reason's, but any quality head will work. Im just trying to help you out, because If you do ported stock heads, and a e cam, its going to make like 240hp at the tires............. and that gets old quick.
(my car with full bolt ons, full exhaust, typhoon intake, and ported heads made 230hp at the tires!)

good point. thats just one option i was looking into.