5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car died. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:06 PM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

Default Car died. Why?

I came home today after driving around and i noticed that there was a wierd sound coming from the back. It would happen every time i turned the key and built up fuel pressure. So i started the car and listened back there and i heard a hissing sound, like air leaking, then after about three minutes the car sputtered and died. Now i try to turn it on and it will not build pressure it will go to about 12 psi and no higher, there is a slight smell of gasoline coming from somewhere. So i think its def. the fuel system. I just want to know which part. I have a afpr and gauge and that is the only thing i have done to my fuel system.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Grey Fox
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Car died. Why?

Pump may have vomited, fuel filter may have something wrong with it (broken line, punctured, etc.)

My advice is get the **** end up on jackstands, crawl under there and see what you see. May have to drop the gas tank but might not...

Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 PM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

yeah i took a look under there and i checked all my lines and filter, everything looked ok. But i noticed a couple months ago that my fuel pump started to get louder, and now my car wont start. Does this sound like a bad fuel pump? And what is the pump vomiting?????
Old 07-21-2005, 09:02 PM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

ok i just whent back outside and tryed it again and now it will start and builds pressure? I think i will just replace my filter and see if that helps. When i turn the key to build pressure it does but i hear a hissing sound along with the pump, like air escaping? Is this just a loose connection.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:05 AM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Is it possible your vacuum hose came off fuel pressure regulator? I'm not completely knowledgable about 5.0's yet but it would explain the hissing and trouble building up pressure.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:06 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

extemely loud pumps are ones that usually go south. plan to buy a new one in future
Old 07-22-2005, 04:26 AM
HungLow5.0
2nd Gear Member

hey man. you just can't get this thing running? It sounds like the pump may be going out. We just replaced Preston's fuel pump. It was doing about the same thing, although it is in a CRX and not a 5.0.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:28 AM
bc_stang
1st Gear Member

do this simple test.....next time ur car fails to start quickly get someone to hammer lightly on the fuel tank with a piece of wood or plastic hammer while u try to start ur car.if it starts ur pump is goin.90% of the pump failures i have seen start working for few minutes by simple hammering on fuel tank. be carefull not to hammer too hard as this may puncture ur tank..whole idea is to send a lil shock wave to help the pump spin easier.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:22 PM
luckypballer
2nd Gear Member

Well i changed the fuel filter last night and today, everything look fine, the wierd noises stopped, and it actually runs. When i poured some of the old fuel out of the filter it was white. Does this sound like it was the problem.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:28 PM
wildstang87
2nd Gear Member

never seen white fuel before, but i definately say your pump is going bad, noises sometimes/pump area, almost 100% of the time. and someone said the vacuum line on the FPR, that would cause the pressure to rise, not drop, just so you dont pick up false imformation, then pass it on. no offense whoever said that.

Quick Reply: Car died. Why?