5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Water as a coolant, in the Winter.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

I managed to get the radiator cap off(I wasn't twisting it enough, it's always been a pain in the ***, and the cap itself was frozen). Looked inside and it was frozen, but not solid, more-so crystalized. I can break it apart easily by just pushing on it, which is somewhat of a relief in the sense that there was enough antifreeze put in there to stop it from freezing solid. I'm going to unplug it and use a bit of warm water to melt what's in there, then top it off with some actual product. There is no thermostat in my car(went out at the end of the year, haven't replaced it yet). Should probably go get one of those and get it in there, seeing how cold it is around here..warm air will be nice. Starting a new job on Monday for the US Census and the mod bug is biting. Thanks for all of your input, and here's to hoping everything is okay.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram
It's pretty simple. Straight water freeze below 0 deg Celsius. If it's been below that with no antifreeze in it with the engine off. It's been frozen.

As for freeze plugs. That's a myth. Those plugs are there to let the sand out after the block has been cast. They are called core plugs. Yes they might pop out as the water turns to ice and expands but they are not designed to save the block from, your Father.

Drain the system, you are only going to be dumping about a 1/4 of the systems capacity from the radiator drain. Then pour in about 6 or 7 Litres of antifreeze.
at least someone else caught that, i was gunna say something till you said it.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by Mattalicious
I managed to get the radiator cap off(I wasn't twisting it enough, it's always been a pain in the ***, and the cap itself was frozen). Looked inside and it was frozen, but not solid, more-so crystalized. I can break it apart easily by just pushing on it, which is somewhat of a relief in the sense that there was enough antifreeze put in there to stop it from freezing solid. I'm going to unplug it and use a bit of warm water to melt what's in there, then top it off with some actual product. There is no thermostat in my car(went out at the end of the year, haven't replaced it yet). Should probably go get one of those and get it in there, seeing how cold it is around here..warm air will be nice. Starting a new job on Monday for the US Census and the mod bug is biting. Thanks for all of your input, and here's to hoping everything is okay.

cool but dont be surprised when people like me tell you 3 people live here now GTFO
Old 01-10-2010, 04:56 PM
txjason1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram
It's pretty simple. Straight water freeze below 0 deg Celsius. If it's been below that with no antifreeze in it with the engine off. It's been frozen.

As for freeze plugs. That's a myth. Those plugs are there to let the sand out after the block has been cast. They are called core plugs. Yes they might pop out as the water turns to ice and expands but they are not designed to save the block from, your Father.

Drain the system, you are only going to be dumping about a 1/4 of the systems capacity from the radiator drain. Then pour in about 6 or 7 Litres of antifreeze.
Yessir! there is a man that knows what he is talking about. Freeze Plugs dont exist....Core Plugs are what they are. But they sometimes save your block from your father....LOL. Good luck with the "IceStang"!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 PM
txjason1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
cool but dont be surprised when people like me tell you 3 people live here now GTFO
LOL I think some will say instead of 3......15 live here and then a polite....SLAM!