5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil baffle in valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 02:49 AM
bmnlsc

Default RE: oil baffle in valve cover

I installed the BBK valve covers after installing the 1.72 rockers. The BBK Vlave Covers sit lower than the stock covers and the neck is shorter too. I had a breather oil cap which leaked onto my headers producing that infamous white smoke. I re-installed the stock oil cap and rigged up a hose, connected to the neck and dropped it down below the motor to drip on the road.

From what you described, the purpose of that hose was to drip the excess oil into the tube attached to either the CAI or into the throttle body...the small amount of oil would not hurt the motor as it was quickly burned going through it. However, with the install of the larger rockers, you will definitely slosh the oil around, as you have already found out. Therefore, if the oil in the CAI makes you uncomfortable, then rig up something like what I did and be done with it.

Good Luck,
BMN
Old 07-27-2005, 10:58 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmnlsc

I installed the BBK valve covers after installing the 1.72 rockers. The BBK Vlave Covers sit lower than the stock covers and the neck is shorter too. I had a breather oil cap which leaked onto my headers producing that infamous white smoke. I re-installed the stock oil cap and rigged up a hose, connected to the neck and dropped it down below the motor to drip on the road.

From what you described, the purpose of that hose was to drip the excess oil into the tube attached to either the CAI or into the throttle body...the small amount of oil would not hurt the motor as it was quickly burned going through it. However, with the install of the larger rockers, you will definitely slosh the oil around, as you have already found out. Therefore, if the oil in the CAI makes you uncomfortable, then rig up something like what I did and be done with it.

Good Luck,
BMN
Why did you just cap off the hole and put a breather on it
Old 07-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

that baffle was there for a reason, to help keep oil from spashing up the filler tube. i wouldnt rig up a tube to drop oil on the road. you will probably be losing a good bit over time. you need to some how keep that oil in the motor
Old 07-27-2005, 02:19 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

so can i just plug the hose or something? what do i need to do if i plug the hose? get a breather? also whats a breather cap look like and what do i need to get
Old 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

breather cap is what im using on my motor..pic below you could just cap the hose off and make sure you leave the stock filler cap on. also make sure your PCV is in good working shape if not you will get blow by
Old 07-27-2005, 02:39 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quik

breather cap is what im using on my motor..pic below you could just cap the hose off and make sure you leave the stock filler cap on. also make sure your PCV is in good working shape if not you will get blow by
Def on the PCV and replace the screen that thing gets clogged up and get really hard to clean if it gets to clogged up. i just plugged the hole with a plastic cap or you can weld it shut too
Old 07-27-2005, 04:49 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Where is the PCV valve/screen located. me and my dad were looking for it last night and dont have a clue. thank you.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

its in the lower intake in the back towards the firewall
Old 07-27-2005, 08:59 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

ooh ok i know exactly where that is.. i will check it out. but maybe this will help i dont know if it has anything to do with the oil leak. but when the car has been running and i turn it off you can hear what sounds like alot of pressure being released..cant really describe it any better but it started after the install of the 1.7 rocker arms.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

your crank case needs to be vented. this is why you need to check the PCV.

Quick Reply: oil baffle in valve cover